Prednisone

  • Sandler, Zellene E.
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
      Have any of you had to give your kitties prednisone? My vet feel it would
      help Widgie's lungs, which are inflamed, but doesn't want to use it because
      it can cause fluid buildup...the last thing you need in a heart kitty. So
      I'd be interested to see if anyone has given this med to an HCM kitty.

    • Sandler, Zellene E.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
        What dosages were Sam and Cybil taking? Widgie is really really sensitive
        to many drugs. My vet is very very cautious!

          > My Sam had been on pred for her IBD all year before her heart condition
          was diagnosed. She never had any problems with it.....

        • MJ&AR
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
            Cybil started on 2.5 mgs every other day. Now she is on 2.5 every afternoon.
            She did need that boost. MJ
            > What dosages were Sam and Cybil taking? Widgie is really really sensitive
            > to many drugs. My vet is very very cautious!

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Melody Woods
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2001
              Bella takes pills..don't remember if they are dex or pred.
              Just keep your eye on salt levels re heart problem.. and dont ever give a
              long acting steroid.. either a three day injection or pills as needed are
              best.----- Original Message -----
              From

              : "Sandler, Zellene E." <zellene.sandler@...>
              > Have any of you had to give your kitties prednisone? My vet feel it would
              > help Widgie's lungs, which are inflamed, but doesn't want to use it
              because
              > it can cause fluid buildup...the last thing you need in a heart kitty. So
              > I'd be interested to see if anyone has given this med to an HCM kitty.

            • Carole

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 7, 2001
                  Sam started on 10mg daily but it was too much. We then switched to 5mg one day and half that the next, then 5mg onwards. Carole