Re: [feline-heart] New intro...

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
      Kristin,

      Not all vets charge high prices for an ultrasound. I just had one done for Munchie, and it was only $45. The vet also ran an EKG strip (several actually) and it was $45 also. I would ask around and get some prices.

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
        I'm sorry to hear about Joey. As someone else suggested you
        really shoud take her to a vet cardiologist for further diagnosis
        & a treatment plan. It's the best advice I can give.

      • VHess2000@cs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2001
          Welcome to the group. You should be able to find a lot of useful information
          here. Heart disease is common in hyperthyroid cats, as an out-of-control
          thyroid stresses the heart. Some cats with both thyroid and heart disease
          shown improved heart function after the thyroid problem is addressed.
          Consequently it wouldn't be a good idea to stop the trapozole. However, the
          nature of the heart disease needs to be addressed so medication and treatment
          can be prescribed (not just lasix). My cat never had a murmur, even though
          see had advanced disease and only lived 6 months, so the absence of a murmur,
          shouldn't negate the need for a thorough heart examine. A chest film will
          show if the heart is enlarged. After that an ultrasound should be done to
          determine the thickness of the heart, size of the ventriles, valve problems,
          and presence of any clots in the heart. Some people have paid a lot for an
          ultrasound, but I shopped around until I found a local vet hospital that had
          the equipment in house and only charged $85. It will be more expensive if
          you have a consult with a vet cardiologist. After the heart is examined,
          medication can be prescribed to lower/raise the blood pressure and
          increase/decrease the heart rate, depending on the diagnosis. Rear leg edema
          is indicative of a particular form of heart disease, but I can't off-hand,
          remember which. Regardless of the course of treatment prescribed, start your
          cat on CoQ10 supplements, 50 mg a day, in an oil base. Prick the capsules
          with a pin and squeeze the oil in your cat's food or on his fur -- he'll lick
          it off as a part of his grooming. It's proven very effective in both human
          and animal trials for advanced heart disease. There's no conclusive evidence
          that aspirin prevents clots in cats, though I kept Kira on them. Good luck!