Re: [FH] milk thistle

  • Barbie
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
      If you aren't certain the best thing to do is
      to call her back and get her to explain
      herself so that you understand.

      Barbie

      see in them what I am".

      Gustav Klimt

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
        It's not that I don't understand her, I do. I completely understand that she is
        not sure of the dosage herself. So, I'm asking people who might know as I know
        milk thistle has been discussed on this list.

        Sue & Boo

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
          I have only been here for a few weeks
          but have never heard milk thistle
          mentioned on the list.  Hopefully someone
          can help you.

          I often go to E.How.  This might help you.

          Good luck.

            http://www.ehow.com/way_5171523_milk-thistle-dosage-cats.html

          Barbie

          see in them what I am".

          Gustav Klimt

          ________________________________

          If you aren't certain the best thing to do is
          to call her back and get her to explain
          herself so that you understand.

          Barbie

        • Sue Painter-Thorne
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
            I've been on the list three years now. It's been discussed.

            Sue & Boo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
              I guess you could take the human dose, assume a 150 lb adult and go from there...eg: it it's 200mg for a 150lb adult, maybe it would be 20mg for a 15 lb cat? Judi and Max

              To: barbie_guitard@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
                hi Sue,

                Here is some info about milk thistle and dosing from Dr. Jean Hofve's website. I've given milk thistle to my guys over the years, and the dose is really kind of sketchy. When I use liquid extract, like Gaia Herbs, I use 4 to 5 drops twice a day. When I've used Nature's Way Thisilyn, I've used 1/4 to 1/2 a capsule once or twice a day.

                http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=nlarchive&show=volume4no07

                In the "Herbs for Pet" by Gregory and Mary Tilford, here's what it says about milk thistle dosing.

                "Alcohol tinctures are the best for administering milk thistle because they allow quick and complete asorption of silymarin into the body. But in cases where severe liver damage might be compounded by alcohol, or in an imals with alcohol hypersentivity, a standardized powder extract (formulated to contain 60-80 percent silymarin) might be a better choice. In cases where stress upon the liver is suspected but not yet serious, the alcohol extract can be administered at a starting dose of 1/4 teaspoon (1 millileter)) per 20 pounds of the animal's body weight. Before feeding it to your animal, dilute each dose with an equal amount or more of water to make the tincture more palatable and to minimize the astringency and burning sensation of the alcohol. The tincture can then be added to the animal's food. In any suspected case of liver disease, a holistic veterinarian should be consulted before proceeding with the use of milk thistle or any other herb."

                I do use the alcohol tinctures mostly, because I feel they're more potent. You can "burn off" the alcohol by diluting the dose with an equal amount of boiling water. I put the drops I'm using in a glass shotglass and add the boiled water, then draw the mixture up into a syringe. Make sure you let it cool before giving it to your kitties. Milk thistle is a very bitter tasting herb, so mixing it in food isn't an option for us. My guys have always been picky eaters. I either just squirt it into their mouths, or put the drops into an empty capsule and pill them with it. If you put your empty capsules in the freezer, they stay cold just long enough to not melt when you put tinctures in them. You have to work fast though, because the capsules tend to start melting within a minute. I've got this down to a science in our house!

                hope this helps.

                hugs,
                and the gang

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "oliversmom42" <npumie@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone know the correct dosage for milk thistle for a 7 pound cat? My Boo kitty has been on Sam-e for her liver, but it seems to be upsetting her stomach (vomiting). Her vet suggested trying milk thistle instead, but was a bit vague about the dosage.
                >
                > TIA,
                >
                > Sue & Boo

              • Sue Painter-Thorne
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
                  This helps loads Carol, THANK you! I knew someone would have the information on
                  this list.

                  While I appreciate your knowledge in helping me with Boo, I am sorry you have to
                  be so familiar with this. <hugs>

                  Sue & Boo

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
                    Thanks Judi!

                    I appreciate your thoughts.

                    Sue & Boo

                    ________________________________
                    I guess you could take the human dose, assume a 150 lb adult and go from
                    there...eg: it it's 200mg for a 150lb adult, maybe it would be 20mg for a 15 lb
                    cat? Judi and Max

                  • Annie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
                      Less is more I would say - you need to be gentle and milk thistle is quite
                      severe in large quantities

                      Annie
                      CoonStars
                      South Africa

                      Here is some info about milk thistle and dosing from Dr. Jean Hofve's
                      website. I've given milk thistle to my guys over the years, and the dose is
                      really kind of sketchy. When I use liquid extract, like Gaia Herbs, I use 4
                      to 5 drops twice a day. When I've used Nature's Way Thisilyn, I've used 1/4
                      to 1/2 a capsule once or twice a day.

                      http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=nlarchive&show=volume4no07

                      In the "Herbs for Pet" by Gregory and Mary Tilford, here's what it says
                      about milk thistle dosing.

                      "Alcohol tinctures are the best for administering milk thistle because they
                      allow quick and complete asorption of silymarin into the body. But in cases
                      where severe liver damage might be compounded by alcohol, or in an imals
                      with alcohol hypersentivity, a standardized powder extract (formulated to
                      contain 60-80 percent silymarin) might be a better choice. In cases where
                      stress upon the liver is suspected but not yet serious, the alcohol extract
                      can be administered at a starting dose of 1/4 teaspoon (1 millileter)) per
                      20 pounds of the animal's body weight. Before feeding it to your animal,
                      dilute each dose with an equal amount or more of water to make the tincture
                      more palatable and to minimize the astringency and burning sensation of the
                      alcohol. The tincture can then be added to the animal's food. In any
                      suspected case of liver disease, a holistic veterinarian should be consulted
                      before proceeding with the use of milk thistle or any other herb."

                      I do use the alcohol tinctures mostly, because I feel they're more potent.
                      You can "burn off" the alcohol by diluting the dose with an equal amount of
                      boiling water. I put the drops I'm using in a glass shotglass and add the
                      boiled water, then draw the mixture up into a syringe. Make sure you let it
                      cool before giving it to your kitties. Milk thistle is a very bitter
                      tasting herb, so mixing it in food isn't an option for us. My guys have
                      always been picky eaters. I either just squirt it into their mouths, or put
                      the drops into an empty capsule and pill them with it. If you put your empty
                      capsules in the freezer, they stay cold just long enough to not melt when
                      you put tinctures in them. You have to work fast though, because the
                      capsules tend to start melting within a minute. I've got this down to a
                      science in our house!

                      hope this helps.

                      hugs,
                      and the gang

                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "oliversmom42" <npumie@...> wrote:

                      > Does anyone know the correct dosage for milk thistle for a 7 pound cat? My
                      Boo kitty has been on Sam-e for her liver, but it seems to be upsetting her
                      stomach (vomiting). Her vet suggested trying milk thistle instead, but was a
                      bit vague about the dosage.

                      > TIA,
                      >
                      > Sue & Boo

                    • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 8, 2010
                        Thanks Annie. It appears it can cause diarrhea if given in high doses. I
                        think that's the last thing Boo needs (me too, but mostly Boo).

                        Sue & Boo

                        On 9/8/10 3:19 PM, "Annie" <annie@...> wrote:

                        > Less is more I would say - you need to be gentle and milk thistle is quite
                        > severe in large quantities
                        >
                        > Annie
                      • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 25, 2010
                          Hi all,

                          Wanted to say thanks again for the folks (Carol, Maureen, Annie) who gave me
                          advice on dosage of milk thistle for my Boo kitty. She just had her recheck
                          of her liver values and all were normal. Yay! The vet was almost as happy as
                          we were. :-)

                          Now she just needs to go in for her regularly scheduled heart labs, then get
                          her teeth cleaned.

                          Sue & Boo (who is feeling so much better that she kicked kitten Aimee's butt
                          several times last night)