Re: [feline-heart] New intro...

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
      Kristin,

      Not all vets charge high prices for an ultrasound. I just had one done for Munchie, and it was only $45. The vet also ran an EKG strip (several actually) and it was $45 also. I would ask around and get some prices.

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
        Welcome to the group, Kristin & Joey,

        I think many others will tell you this: you should find a vet cardiologist
        in your area and get an ultrasound and possibly an xray for Joey so you can
        see where his heart is at. Then you can make better decisions on treatment.

        Re: cost - it varies a lot from vet to vet. My vet now charges $260 <
        =:0 > for an ultrasound which I think is on the *very* high end of the
        scale. I think it's because they are part of VCA. :(

        On the plus side, we only do one a year at this point so I can budget for it.

        Diane
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
          I'm sorry to hear about Joey. As someone else suggested you
          really shoud take her to a vet cardiologist for further diagnosis
          & a treatment plan. It's the best advice I can give.

        • VHess2000@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2001
            Welcome to the group. You should be able to find a lot of useful information
            here. Heart disease is common in hyperthyroid cats, as an out-of-control
            thyroid stresses the heart. Some cats with both thyroid and heart disease
            shown improved heart function after the thyroid problem is addressed.
            Consequently it wouldn't be a good idea to stop the trapozole. However, the
            nature of the heart disease needs to be addressed so medication and treatment
            can be prescribed (not just lasix). My cat never had a murmur, even though
            see had advanced disease and only lived 6 months, so the absence of a murmur,
            shouldn't negate the need for a thorough heart examine. A chest film will
            show if the heart is enlarged. After that an ultrasound should be done to
            determine the thickness of the heart, size of the ventriles, valve problems,
            and presence of any clots in the heart. Some people have paid a lot for an
            ultrasound, but I shopped around until I found a local vet hospital that had
            the equipment in house and only charged $85. It will be more expensive if
            you have a consult with a vet cardiologist. After the heart is examined,
            medication can be prescribed to lower/raise the blood pressure and
            increase/decrease the heart rate, depending on the diagnosis. Rear leg edema
            is indicative of a particular form of heart disease, but I can't off-hand,
            remember which. Regardless of the course of treatment prescribed, start your
            cat on CoQ10 supplements, 50 mg a day, in an oil base. Prick the capsules
            with a pin and squeeze the oil in your cat's food or on his fur -- he'll lick
            it off as a part of his grooming. It's proven very effective in both human
            and animal trials for advanced heart disease. There's no conclusive evidence
            that aspirin prevents clots in cats, though I kept Kira on them. Good luck!