Re: [feline-heart] New intro...

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
      Kristin,

      Not all vets charge high prices for an ultrasound. I just had one done for Munchie, and it was only $45. The vet also ran an EKG strip (several actually) and it was $45 also. I would ask around and get some prices.

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
        Hello to the group!! Just wanted to send a quick intro and some
        questions... My little girl, Joey has reached that age (14) where her
        health is not something to take for granted. She was just diagnosed
        as hyperthyroid and as soon as we started treatment, coincidentally
        (?), her back legs started swelling up and her breathing was
        very "wet". She went back to the doctor and he diagnosed a heart
        problem, but we did not do any further testing and the only thing he
        did was to perscribe Lasix to try to eliminate some of the fluid
        build-up. I stopped her Tapazole, per the vet's suggestion, to rule
        out side effects. Her swelling seems to be down, and her breathing
        seems better (but she seems to have her good times and bad), so I am
        going to ask the vet about re-starting her on Tap at a lower dose
        (she was on 5 mg once a day).

        Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do? Should I
        ask the vet about giving her a tiny bit of baby asprin once a week or
        so? What else is involved in an "official" diagnosis of heart
        disease? What sort of cost is involved?? I really, really wish that
        was not a factor, as I love my little fuzzer down to the whiskers and
        would do anything for her, but I think I need to provide her with a
        roof over her head and food in her belly first and foremost.

        Thank you, everyone for being here and being such a wonderful support
        network (we started with the Geriatricat group, then on to the hyper-
        t group, and now, here we are... :-)

        Best wishes to all...
        Kristin & Joey
      • diane
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
          Welcome to the group, Kristin & Joey,

          I think many others will tell you this: you should find a vet cardiologist
          in your area and get an ultrasound and possibly an xray for Joey so you can
          see where his heart is at. Then you can make better decisions on treatment.

          Re: cost - it varies a lot from vet to vet. My vet now charges $260 <
          =:0 > for an ultrasound which I think is on the *very* high end of the
          scale. I think it's because they are part of VCA. :(

          On the plus side, we only do one a year at this point so I can budget for it.

          Diane
        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2001
            I'm sorry to hear about Joey. As someone else suggested you
            really shoud take her to a vet cardiologist for further diagnosis
            & a treatment plan. It's the best advice I can give.

          • VHess2000@cs.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2001
              Welcome to the group. You should be able to find a lot of useful information
              here. Heart disease is common in hyperthyroid cats, as an out-of-control
              thyroid stresses the heart. Some cats with both thyroid and heart disease
              shown improved heart function after the thyroid problem is addressed.
              Consequently it wouldn't be a good idea to stop the trapozole. However, the
              nature of the heart disease needs to be addressed so medication and treatment
              can be prescribed (not just lasix). My cat never had a murmur, even though
              see had advanced disease and only lived 6 months, so the absence of a murmur,
              shouldn't negate the need for a thorough heart examine. A chest film will
              show if the heart is enlarged. After that an ultrasound should be done to
              determine the thickness of the heart, size of the ventriles, valve problems,
              and presence of any clots in the heart. Some people have paid a lot for an
              ultrasound, but I shopped around until I found a local vet hospital that had
              the equipment in house and only charged $85. It will be more expensive if
              you have a consult with a vet cardiologist. After the heart is examined,
              medication can be prescribed to lower/raise the blood pressure and
              increase/decrease the heart rate, depending on the diagnosis. Rear leg edema
              is indicative of a particular form of heart disease, but I can't off-hand,
              remember which. Regardless of the course of treatment prescribed, start your
              cat on CoQ10 supplements, 50 mg a day, in an oil base. Prick the capsules
              with a pin and squeeze the oil in your cat's food or on his fur -- he'll lick
              it off as a part of his grooming. It's proven very effective in both human
              and animal trials for advanced heart disease. There's no conclusive evidence
              that aspirin prevents clots in cats, though I kept Kira on them. Good luck!