Re: Water amount when using Lasix

  • nicholeandmilo
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5 6:32 AM
      Lasix is a diuretic so it gets rid of fluids, therefore can lead to dehydration and be hard on the kidneys. My kitty Moto has been on it since January and just had a re-echo a couple weeks ago and since that, as well as his breathing is stable we are going to reduce the dosage but not take him off of it all together. My cardiologist said he is too high risk to completely discontinue it since he went into heart failure once already, so he will remain on it lifelong but we are going to try doing the lowest effective dose. Motos kidney values are and have been fine for the past 7 1/2 months he's been on lasix. CHF is just as bad as CRF so don't be afraid to give the lasix, if Nunu needs it, he needs to have it, regardless of what it may do to the kidneys.

      Each cat is different as far as whether or not they'll need lasix lifelong, heart disease isn't black and white so my cat will be on it lifelong but that doesn't mean yours necessarily will be, so I can't answer yes or no as to your question. You have to treat based on your cats individual situation and symptoms you're seeing, or not seeing for that matter. Heart disease has a mind of its own and the future can't be predicted, just take a day at a time and enjoy each day. Moto and his situation has actually taught me to stop being such a planner and its been great for me. I still plan for some things and stay organized, but I've realized thinking into the future and planning for what could come, is not the best thing bc if things don't go as planned there are big disappointments. I understand you may be a planner and want to know exactly what to do and expect for the future by try and step back and let some of that go.

      Also I don't give water supplementally, Moto just drinks more water as a results of the lasix. Increased water intake is the goal with lasix since it depletes their fluid supply. But I wouldn't give it by syringe, they can aspirate bc of syringing it for one and for two, its stressful for them. If your cat eats canned food I'd add some more water to it, and I found that getting a water fountain did the trick for my boy. He LOVES the one I got. Be creative, see what your cat likes and provide it, such as water out of a mug, dripping water faucet, leaving water in multiple places, etc. I would not stress a kitty out by syringing water.

      Take a deep breath and live one day at a time. Heart kitties lives are unpredictable and I use to always worry and wonder what if this and that, and really you can't control the future so what's gonna happen is what's going to, enjoy everyday and try to relax, if your kitty can sense if you're stressed or upset over the situation that adds to stress for Nunu.

      Keep doing your best and things will work out.

      Good luck,
      Nichole

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Barbie <barbie_guitard@...> wrote:

      > I have noticed on several posts during the past week or two
      > that many talk about Lasix and giving their cats only a certain
      > amount of water.
      >
      > When Nunu was put on Lasix water intake was never mentioned.
      > Were all of you that have your pets on Lasix told to give less
      > water or more?  I am starting to worry that they forgot to mention
      > this.  I can't remember if I asked this already as I have so
      > much on my mind lately but do HCM cats stay on Lasix for the
      > rest of their lives?  I am worried about her kidneys since this
      > med is so hard on them.
      > I know my cousins dog is on a Lasix and heart meds everyday
      > and has been for months.
      > Barbie
      >
      > "Whoever wants to know something about me,
      > must observe my paintings carefully and try to
      > see in them what I am".
      >
      > Gustav Klimt

    • Barbie
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5 8:22 AM
        Thank you for your response.  I guess at this point
        I am thinking the three vets who saw her didn't  mention the
        water amount because she probably does need it
        every day.  So chances are that is why they didn't
        mention it. I will continue to give it to her
        everyday until told otherwise. Unfortunetely Nunu is not in the situation
        that most HCM cats are.  She is more towards the
        end.  She isn't 6 months old and won't live another
        7 years successfully, or being diagnosed at 2 to have
        a full life ahead of her.  Her disease has progressed
        at a fast rate and the way she has been lately even
        after being on meds for about 10 days.  To say she
        is doing much better isn't the case.  She still has
        to stop about 10 ft after walking because she is
        breathing so heavy.  She is a heavier cat and an older
        cat.  The vet actually said her prognosis is not good
        even though many HCM cats can live for years with
        this terminal illness.  Her heart has quit a bit of thickening
        inside and because she is a bigger cat not enough
        blood can fit in that compromised heart chamber to
        support her.

        She drinks a lot but she always has for the past 3/4 years
        after her bladder stones were taken out.  Not before.
        She hardly drank before her surgery years ago.  But now
        she does which is good for her because of her bladder
        problems.  And of course because she is on diuretics.  I
        read that they should be replenishing their fluids when
        they are on diuretics but I started to get worried seeing
        all the posts referencing smaller water intake.  I would
        imagine that may be in cases of CRF.

        Honestly I am not sure how much more I am going to allow
        her to go through this.  She still purrs and loves to get
        brushed, but her quality of life has gone from 100 to about
        30.  I just am struggling with the decision and I get so angry
        having to be put in this situation.  I hate it.  I know
        that everything dies and this world is ever changing but
        sometimes it is very difficult to change with it.

        Well better go check on her.

        Thanks Nichole.

        Barbie

        see in them what I am".

        Gustav Klimt

        ________________________________
> [...]

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Barbie <barbie_guitard@...> wrote:

        > I have noticed on several posts during the past week or two
        > that many talk about Lasix and giving their cats only a certain
        > amount of water.
        >
        > When Nunu was put on Lasix water intake was never mentioned.
        > Were all of you that have your pets on Lasix told to give less
        > water or more?  I am starting to worry that they forgot to mention
        > this.  I can't remember if I asked this already as I have so
        > much on my mind lately but do HCM cats stay on Lasix for the
        > rest of their lives?  I am worried about her kidneys since this
        > med is so hard on them.
        > I know my cousins dog is on a Lasix and heart meds everyday
        > and has been for months.
        > Barbie
        >
        > "Whoever wants to know something about me,
        > must observe my paintings carefully and try to

      • Barbie
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5 9:02 AM
          Patti may I ask what you mean by
          raw diet?  I assume you mean raw
          meats?

          Barbie

          see in them what I am".

          Gustav Klimt

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6 1:42 AM
            Hi Barbie

            My Trixi was diagnosed with advanced HCM as a 13 weeks old kitten. She was
            given months to live and has just passed her fourth birthday after a
            struggle with meds and a heart attack last year. She is currently stable. Cats do
            not listen to a prognosis.

            As for your question.. when is it time to let go? You'll know, it's when
            quality of life is poor, it's when the bad outweighs the good. I see it as a
            final act of kindness and remember the kind words someone posted here
            once.. a prolonged life should not be a prolonged death. This is only my
            opinion, some would disagree. You have to make a decision you feel is right for
            you and your family every time.

            Nunu will let you know and then you will be with her to help her. For now
            she is struggling to stabilise and all the meds are new. It's always
            difficult the first few weeks as the medications start to work. You should see an
            improvement soon I would think.

            Lyn:)