Elongated Anterior Mitral Leaflet

  • Mary
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hello all.........

      I am a breeder and new to heart problems ; (

      One of my foundation males was diagnosed with HCM recently and at the
      age of 7. He was clear his last scan at age 5. He has no outward
      symptoms and has been neutered for some time and living a great life
      with a local family.

      As I rescan all my cats (my 5th generation after him is on the ground),
      one of his grandsons was found to have an elongated anterior mitral
      leaflet. He is a 14 month neuter and will be going to a friend.

      From the report:

      * there is some narroing of the LV outflow tract particularly when he
      is very excited due to anterior mitral motion.
      * The anterior mitral leaflet looks longer than expected and may be
      contributing to abnormal valve motion.
      * The tip of the leaflet is bright suggesting some valve trauma
      secondary to hitting the heart muscle.
      * turbulent flow within the LV outflow tract and mitral
      insufficiency.
      * The mitral insufficincy is secondary to the anterior leaflet moving
      towards the septum when the heart contracts
      * This is worse when he is exicted and active
      * If left untreated, his heart muscle may become thicker because of
      the increased work load on his heart.
      * There is no clear evidence of HCM

      He has been started on Atenelol and we will rescan in 2-3 weeks.

      Has anyone had this? Any guidance about outcome?

      Thank you so much. This site is a wealth of knowledge and experience.
      I am thankful to have it as a resource while I try to learn more about
      the heart and this darned disease.

      Mary Nelson