Thanks and another Q

  • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
      Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, suggestions, and commiserations on
      constantly hungry kitten Aimee. We'll have her checked out and are just
      hoping this is "normal" kitten behavior that we apparently lucked out on
      with the other kittens!

      Now for my heart kitten Boo. She's about 3 years old, has HCM, takes
      benazipril, Natto, and Cardio-S for that. She's been pretty stable since her
      diagnosis at 6 months.

      For the last several months, she's been fighting an allergy type condition
      called rodent tumor (it has another more scientific-sounding name, but I
      can't recall it right now). She had this a couple years ago on her legs and
      this summer it went to her mouth. She was just miserable--withdrawn, inner
      eyelids covering her eyes, just dejected. We put her on some meds, she
      started to improve a little, but then leveled off still not quite herself.

      Took her to the vet about 2 weeks ago for a recheck and because her
      improvement had slowed, her blood work was all normal except for one liver
      value (ALT) that was through the roof (500 when normal range is below 100).
      Other values were all normal.

      Our vet thought it was some type of infection or bacteria. We put her on a
      broad spectrum antibiotic (baytril) and on Sam-e for her liver while we
      waited for the blood results on things like FIV, toxoplasmosis, FIP. All the
      bloodwork came back negative and she seems to have improved a lot on the
      baytril and sam-e. She's more social, her eyes are cleared up, she's not
      withdrawn. She's acting like Boo again.

      But, for the last couple days, she's been throwing up her Sam-e. So we
      switched from giving it before meals to after (it cannot be given with food,
      so it's either an hour before a meal or two hours after). That seemed to
      help.

      For the last two days, she seemed okay, then today she started throwing up
      in general. She's on her way to the vet now as we'd scheduled an appointment
      to rerun her blood work to check liver values. But I'm really worried about
      her. My husband thinks (hopes) she could just be having general gastric
      upset unconnected to all that she's been dealing with. But, I just don't
      know. If anyone has any thoughts, please share them. Otherwise, please send
      good vibes her way. She's really been through a lot in her short life.

      Sue & Boo
    • Cathy Mack
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
        Hi Sue,

        Could you mean a rodent ulcer? These are common in cats and I've had quite a
        few kitties over the years get them. Vets tend to rush treatment with steroids,
        but it's not an effective treatment because as soon as you stop, the rodent
        ulcer can appear again. And heart kitties can't have steroids anyways.

        IMO, the rodent ulcers are mostly from food allergies but other causes can be
        attributed to them. I've found that the best way to treat them is to let it run
        its course through the kitties own immune systems and naturally let it
        disappear. The food allergies can be just from a single batch of food that had
        one tiny ingredient differ, and I don't even change the food because the next
        batch may be different. But if it persists or continually appears again, I have
        changed foods at that point and it does disappear.

        The elevated ALT liver value can sometimes be a result of hyperthyroidism, and
        not liver disease at all. I had a vet internist one time tell me my kitty had
        liver disease and a few months to live; a second opinion from a different vet
        proved it to be hyperthyroidism. As soon as she got the radioactive iodine
        treatment, the ALT was back to normal immediately. Did you have the free T4
        checked in the blood panel?

        HTH, best wishes,
        Cathy

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
          Rodent ulcer, that's it. Thanks.

          She had it when she was about a year old and we did treat with oral steroids
          (it's my understanding that oral steroids are ok, injectible steroids are
          not--I don't want a bunch of emails with steroid horror stories, Boo has
          been fine, has not gone into CHF). Boo does not have a great immune system,
          so we couldn't just leave it to run it's course as it was just rapidly
          spreading and covering her whole body, making her life miserable, and
          causing her to not eat. Our vet didn't rush to steroids, we tried other
          things and the only thing that gave her any relief was the steroids and
          nolvasan flush to clean the individual spots. No recurrence for years. Then
          it recurred in her mouth. We did steroids again and it cleared up. The
          ulcers seem gone now.

          In all respects she seems otherwise normal. Her thyroid levels were normal
          (we checked everything!). Today her ALT was down to 340, which is still
          high, but lower. So it seems either the antibiotics or the Sam-e is helping,
          but it's still worrisome. Her vet doesn't think it's liver disease, she
          thinks it's the result of some infection that we've not been able to
          pinpoint. She also doesn't think it's anything super-sinister (she's not
          saying she's dying, she said the really bad things have been ruled out).

          It could be her teeth even. Her teeth are horrible, she always has to have
          them cleaned (which is of course risky with a heart kitty) because she gets
          plaque buildup right away even with brushing. Our other cats almost never
          need cleanings, but poor Boo. Our vet wants to get her liver values down
          before we do her teeth again, though. I'm hoping she'll think they are low
          enough now, as I suspect part of this might be bacteria from her teeth. Her
          regular vet wasn't in today so we have to talk on Tuesday to see if the
          values are down low enough to do the cleaning.

          The vet who was on today gave her some anti-nausea meds. He said what we're
          doing is working, so keep doing it. But she's not his patient, so he didn't
          add much more. Argh.

          Sue & Boo