Re: [FH] OT-constantly hungry

  • Mmayer11
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
      Not typical, but possible.
      I think it still could be parasites. Sometimes it can be very difficult to get rid of even after multiple treatments.

      >I'm thinking thyroid too, but my last thyroid kitty ate and ate and ate, but
      >never gained weight. Is it typical for them to gain weight and be
      >hyperthyroid?>

      Marianna

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
        Hi

        Is she on a homemade diet? If so, is she getting the supplement taurine
        which is an essential amino acid for cats. I would also have her checked for
        diabetes as that can lead to an enormous appetite as well.

        Good luck. KIttens are often greedy critters and it's possible she is doing
        this a behavioural thing, snatching food because she's worried that more
        won't be coming. I`m sure a full work out at the vet will reassure you.

        As for eating things, yes, mine have done that. I`ve had a maltloaf, a pipe
        cleaner and a piece of string of 84 cm (I measured it) removed so far.

      • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
          Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, suggestions, and commiserations on
          constantly hungry kitten Aimee. We'll have her checked out and are just
          hoping this is "normal" kitten behavior that we apparently lucked out on
          with the other kittens!

          Now for my heart kitten Boo. She's about 3 years old, has HCM, takes
          benazipril, Natto, and Cardio-S for that. She's been pretty stable since her
          diagnosis at 6 months.

          For the last several months, she's been fighting an allergy type condition
          called rodent tumor (it has another more scientific-sounding name, but I
          can't recall it right now). She had this a couple years ago on her legs and
          this summer it went to her mouth. She was just miserable--withdrawn, inner
          eyelids covering her eyes, just dejected. We put her on some meds, she
          started to improve a little, but then leveled off still not quite herself.

          Took her to the vet about 2 weeks ago for a recheck and because her
          improvement had slowed, her blood work was all normal except for one liver
          value (ALT) that was through the roof (500 when normal range is below 100).
          Other values were all normal.

          Our vet thought it was some type of infection or bacteria. We put her on a
          broad spectrum antibiotic (baytril) and on Sam-e for her liver while we
          waited for the blood results on things like FIV, toxoplasmosis, FIP. All the
          bloodwork came back negative and she seems to have improved a lot on the
          baytril and sam-e. She's more social, her eyes are cleared up, she's not
          withdrawn. She's acting like Boo again.

          But, for the last couple days, she's been throwing up her Sam-e. So we
          switched from giving it before meals to after (it cannot be given with food,
          so it's either an hour before a meal or two hours after). That seemed to
          help.

          For the last two days, she seemed okay, then today she started throwing up
          in general. She's on her way to the vet now as we'd scheduled an appointment
          to rerun her blood work to check liver values. But I'm really worried about
          her. My husband thinks (hopes) she could just be having general gastric
          upset unconnected to all that she's been dealing with. But, I just don't
          know. If anyone has any thoughts, please share them. Otherwise, please send
          good vibes her way. She's really been through a lot in her short life.

          Sue & Boo
        • Cathy Mack
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
            Hi Sue,

            Could you mean a rodent ulcer? These are common in cats and I've had quite a
            few kitties over the years get them. Vets tend to rush treatment with steroids,
            but it's not an effective treatment because as soon as you stop, the rodent
            ulcer can appear again. And heart kitties can't have steroids anyways.

            IMO, the rodent ulcers are mostly from food allergies but other causes can be
            attributed to them. I've found that the best way to treat them is to let it run
            its course through the kitties own immune systems and naturally let it
            disappear. The food allergies can be just from a single batch of food that had
            one tiny ingredient differ, and I don't even change the food because the next
            batch may be different. But if it persists or continually appears again, I have
            changed foods at that point and it does disappear.

            The elevated ALT liver value can sometimes be a result of hyperthyroidism, and
            not liver disease at all. I had a vet internist one time tell me my kitty had
            liver disease and a few months to live; a second opinion from a different vet
            proved it to be hyperthyroidism. As soon as she got the radioactive iodine
            treatment, the ALT was back to normal immediately. Did you have the free T4
            checked in the blood panel?

            HTH, best wishes,
            Cathy

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
              Rodent ulcer, that's it. Thanks.

              She had it when she was about a year old and we did treat with oral steroids
              (it's my understanding that oral steroids are ok, injectible steroids are
              not--I don't want a bunch of emails with steroid horror stories, Boo has
              been fine, has not gone into CHF). Boo does not have a great immune system,
              so we couldn't just leave it to run it's course as it was just rapidly
              spreading and covering her whole body, making her life miserable, and
              causing her to not eat. Our vet didn't rush to steroids, we tried other
              things and the only thing that gave her any relief was the steroids and
              nolvasan flush to clean the individual spots. No recurrence for years. Then
              it recurred in her mouth. We did steroids again and it cleared up. The
              ulcers seem gone now.

              In all respects she seems otherwise normal. Her thyroid levels were normal
              (we checked everything!). Today her ALT was down to 340, which is still
              high, but lower. So it seems either the antibiotics or the Sam-e is helping,
              but it's still worrisome. Her vet doesn't think it's liver disease, she
              thinks it's the result of some infection that we've not been able to
              pinpoint. She also doesn't think it's anything super-sinister (she's not
              saying she's dying, she said the really bad things have been ruled out).

              It could be her teeth even. Her teeth are horrible, she always has to have
              them cleaned (which is of course risky with a heart kitty) because she gets
              plaque buildup right away even with brushing. Our other cats almost never
              need cleanings, but poor Boo. Our vet wants to get her liver values down
              before we do her teeth again, though. I'm hoping she'll think they are low
              enough now, as I suspect part of this might be bacteria from her teeth. Her
              regular vet wasn't in today so we have to talk on Tuesday to see if the
              values are down low enough to do the cleaning.

              The vet who was on today gave her some anti-nausea meds. He said what we're
              doing is working, so keep doing it. But she's not his patient, so he didn't
              add much more. Argh.

              Sue & Boo