Re: [FH] OT-constantly hungry

  • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3 7:08 PM
      Thanks for the responses. I should have included more info:

      She's been wormed by her vet and by us. But, we'll have her checked again.
      I'm hoping that's all it is.

      She eats whole meat foods, no grains, no fillers. She's gaining weight just
      fine. But it's like she's just never feels full. Even when her sides are
      rounded out right after a meal--so I can see she IS full--she's still
      grubbing for more food.

      I'm thinking thyroid too, but my last thyroid kitty ate and ate and ate, but
      never gained weight. Is it typical for them to gain weight and be
      hyperthyroid?

      Sue & the Food Monster (aka Aimee) & Boo (who is tired of Aimee trying to
      steal her food)
    • Mmayer11
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3 9:18 PM
        Not typical, but possible.
        I think it still could be parasites. Sometimes it can be very difficult to get rid of even after multiple treatments.

        >I'm thinking thyroid too, but my last thyroid kitty ate and ate and ate, but
        >never gained weight. Is it typical for them to gain weight and be
        >hyperthyroid?>

        Marianna

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4 2:03 AM
          Hi

          Is she on a homemade diet? If so, is she getting the supplement taurine
          which is an essential amino acid for cats. I would also have her checked for
          diabetes as that can lead to an enormous appetite as well.

          Good luck. KIttens are often greedy critters and it's possible she is doing
          this a behavioural thing, snatching food because she's worried that more
          won't be coming. I`m sure a full work out at the vet will reassure you.

          As for eating things, yes, mine have done that. I`ve had a maltloaf, a pipe
          cleaner and a piece of string of 84 cm (I measured it) removed so far.

        • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4 8:01 AM
            Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, suggestions, and commiserations on
            constantly hungry kitten Aimee. We'll have her checked out and are just
            hoping this is "normal" kitten behavior that we apparently lucked out on
            with the other kittens!

            Now for my heart kitten Boo. She's about 3 years old, has HCM, takes
            benazipril, Natto, and Cardio-S for that. She's been pretty stable since her
            diagnosis at 6 months.

            For the last several months, she's been fighting an allergy type condition
            called rodent tumor (it has another more scientific-sounding name, but I
            can't recall it right now). She had this a couple years ago on her legs and
            this summer it went to her mouth. She was just miserable--withdrawn, inner
            eyelids covering her eyes, just dejected. We put her on some meds, she
            started to improve a little, but then leveled off still not quite herself.

            Took her to the vet about 2 weeks ago for a recheck and because her
            improvement had slowed, her blood work was all normal except for one liver
            value (ALT) that was through the roof (500 when normal range is below 100).
            Other values were all normal.

            Our vet thought it was some type of infection or bacteria. We put her on a
            broad spectrum antibiotic (baytril) and on Sam-e for her liver while we
            waited for the blood results on things like FIV, toxoplasmosis, FIP. All the
            bloodwork came back negative and she seems to have improved a lot on the
            baytril and sam-e. She's more social, her eyes are cleared up, she's not
            withdrawn. She's acting like Boo again.

            But, for the last couple days, she's been throwing up her Sam-e. So we
            switched from giving it before meals to after (it cannot be given with food,
            so it's either an hour before a meal or two hours after). That seemed to
            help.

            For the last two days, she seemed okay, then today she started throwing up
            in general. She's on her way to the vet now as we'd scheduled an appointment
            to rerun her blood work to check liver values. But I'm really worried about
            her. My husband thinks (hopes) she could just be having general gastric
            upset unconnected to all that she's been dealing with. But, I just don't
            know. If anyone has any thoughts, please share them. Otherwise, please send
            good vibes her way. She's really been through a lot in her short life.

            Sue & Boo
          • Cathy Mack
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4 9:19 AM
              Hi Sue,

              Could you mean a rodent ulcer? These are common in cats and I've had quite a
              few kitties over the years get them. Vets tend to rush treatment with steroids,
              but it's not an effective treatment because as soon as you stop, the rodent
              ulcer can appear again. And heart kitties can't have steroids anyways.

              IMO, the rodent ulcers are mostly from food allergies but other causes can be
              attributed to them. I've found that the best way to treat them is to let it run
              its course through the kitties own immune systems and naturally let it
              disappear. The food allergies can be just from a single batch of food that had
              one tiny ingredient differ, and I don't even change the food because the next
              batch may be different. But if it persists or continually appears again, I have
              changed foods at that point and it does disappear.

              The elevated ALT liver value can sometimes be a result of hyperthyroidism, and
              not liver disease at all. I had a vet internist one time tell me my kitty had
              liver disease and a few months to live; a second opinion from a different vet
              proved it to be hyperthyroidism. As soon as she got the radioactive iodine
              treatment, the ALT was back to normal immediately. Did you have the free T4
              checked in the blood panel?

              HTH, best wishes,
              Cathy

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4 10:37 AM
                Rodent ulcer, that's it. Thanks.

                She had it when she was about a year old and we did treat with oral steroids
                (it's my understanding that oral steroids are ok, injectible steroids are
                not--I don't want a bunch of emails with steroid horror stories, Boo has
                been fine, has not gone into CHF). Boo does not have a great immune system,
                so we couldn't just leave it to run it's course as it was just rapidly
                spreading and covering her whole body, making her life miserable, and
                causing her to not eat. Our vet didn't rush to steroids, we tried other
                things and the only thing that gave her any relief was the steroids and
                nolvasan flush to clean the individual spots. No recurrence for years. Then
                it recurred in her mouth. We did steroids again and it cleared up. The
                ulcers seem gone now.

                In all respects she seems otherwise normal. Her thyroid levels were normal
                (we checked everything!). Today her ALT was down to 340, which is still
                high, but lower. So it seems either the antibiotics or the Sam-e is helping,
                but it's still worrisome. Her vet doesn't think it's liver disease, she
                thinks it's the result of some infection that we've not been able to
                pinpoint. She also doesn't think it's anything super-sinister (she's not
                saying she's dying, she said the really bad things have been ruled out).

                It could be her teeth even. Her teeth are horrible, she always has to have
                them cleaned (which is of course risky with a heart kitty) because she gets
                plaque buildup right away even with brushing. Our other cats almost never
                need cleanings, but poor Boo. Our vet wants to get her liver values down
                before we do her teeth again, though. I'm hoping she'll think they are low
                enough now, as I suspect part of this might be bacteria from her teeth. Her
                regular vet wasn't in today so we have to talk on Tuesday to see if the
                values are down low enough to do the cleaning.

                The vet who was on today gave her some anti-nausea meds. He said what we're
                doing is working, so keep doing it. But she's not his patient, so he didn't
                add much more. Argh.

                Sue & Boo