Re: [FH] OT-constantly hungry

  • Mmayer11
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
      Worms, parasites, which can easily be missed even with a thorough examination of a fresh stool sample...especially b/c she's new to you...this might really be the problem. We have recently discussed...hyerT...you would need a full panel T3 & a T4...sent out to a lab designated for this such as the well respect Michigan State or the Jean Dodd lab in CA. US.
      HTH

      Marianna

    • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
        Thanks for the responses. I should have included more info:

        She's been wormed by her vet and by us. But, we'll have her checked again.
        I'm hoping that's all it is.

        She eats whole meat foods, no grains, no fillers. She's gaining weight just
        fine. But it's like she's just never feels full. Even when her sides are
        rounded out right after a meal--so I can see she IS full--she's still
        grubbing for more food.

        I'm thinking thyroid too, but my last thyroid kitty ate and ate and ate, but
        never gained weight. Is it typical for them to gain weight and be
        hyperthyroid?

        Sue & the Food Monster (aka Aimee) & Boo (who is tired of Aimee trying to
        steal her food)
      • Mmayer11
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
          Not typical, but possible.
          I think it still could be parasites. Sometimes it can be very difficult to get rid of even after multiple treatments.

          >I'm thinking thyroid too, but my last thyroid kitty ate and ate and ate, but
          >never gained weight. Is it typical for them to gain weight and be
          >hyperthyroid?>

          Marianna

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
            Hi

            Is she on a homemade diet? If so, is she getting the supplement taurine
            which is an essential amino acid for cats. I would also have her checked for
            diabetes as that can lead to an enormous appetite as well.

            Good luck. KIttens are often greedy critters and it's possible she is doing
            this a behavioural thing, snatching food because she's worried that more
            won't be coming. I`m sure a full work out at the vet will reassure you.

            As for eating things, yes, mine have done that. I`ve had a maltloaf, a pipe
            cleaner and a piece of string of 84 cm (I measured it) removed so far.

          • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
              Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, suggestions, and commiserations on
              constantly hungry kitten Aimee. We'll have her checked out and are just
              hoping this is "normal" kitten behavior that we apparently lucked out on
              with the other kittens!

              Now for my heart kitten Boo. She's about 3 years old, has HCM, takes
              benazipril, Natto, and Cardio-S for that. She's been pretty stable since her
              diagnosis at 6 months.

              For the last several months, she's been fighting an allergy type condition
              called rodent tumor (it has another more scientific-sounding name, but I
              can't recall it right now). She had this a couple years ago on her legs and
              this summer it went to her mouth. She was just miserable--withdrawn, inner
              eyelids covering her eyes, just dejected. We put her on some meds, she
              started to improve a little, but then leveled off still not quite herself.

              Took her to the vet about 2 weeks ago for a recheck and because her
              improvement had slowed, her blood work was all normal except for one liver
              value (ALT) that was through the roof (500 when normal range is below 100).
              Other values were all normal.

              Our vet thought it was some type of infection or bacteria. We put her on a
              broad spectrum antibiotic (baytril) and on Sam-e for her liver while we
              waited for the blood results on things like FIV, toxoplasmosis, FIP. All the
              bloodwork came back negative and she seems to have improved a lot on the
              baytril and sam-e. She's more social, her eyes are cleared up, she's not
              withdrawn. She's acting like Boo again.

              But, for the last couple days, she's been throwing up her Sam-e. So we
              switched from giving it before meals to after (it cannot be given with food,
              so it's either an hour before a meal or two hours after). That seemed to
              help.

              For the last two days, she seemed okay, then today she started throwing up
              in general. She's on her way to the vet now as we'd scheduled an appointment
              to rerun her blood work to check liver values. But I'm really worried about
              her. My husband thinks (hopes) she could just be having general gastric
              upset unconnected to all that she's been dealing with. But, I just don't
              know. If anyone has any thoughts, please share them. Otherwise, please send
              good vibes her way. She's really been through a lot in her short life.

              Sue & Boo
            • Cathy Mack
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
                Hi Sue,

                Could you mean a rodent ulcer? These are common in cats and I've had quite a
                few kitties over the years get them. Vets tend to rush treatment with steroids,
                but it's not an effective treatment because as soon as you stop, the rodent
                ulcer can appear again. And heart kitties can't have steroids anyways.

                IMO, the rodent ulcers are mostly from food allergies but other causes can be
                attributed to them. I've found that the best way to treat them is to let it run
                its course through the kitties own immune systems and naturally let it
                disappear. The food allergies can be just from a single batch of food that had
                one tiny ingredient differ, and I don't even change the food because the next
                batch may be different. But if it persists or continually appears again, I have
                changed foods at that point and it does disappear.

                The elevated ALT liver value can sometimes be a result of hyperthyroidism, and
                not liver disease at all. I had a vet internist one time tell me my kitty had
                liver disease and a few months to live; a second opinion from a different vet
                proved it to be hyperthyroidism. As soon as she got the radioactive iodine
                treatment, the ALT was back to normal immediately. Did you have the free T4
                checked in the blood panel?

                HTH, best wishes,
                Cathy

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
                  Rodent ulcer, that's it. Thanks.

                  She had it when she was about a year old and we did treat with oral steroids
                  (it's my understanding that oral steroids are ok, injectible steroids are
                  not--I don't want a bunch of emails with steroid horror stories, Boo has
                  been fine, has not gone into CHF). Boo does not have a great immune system,
                  so we couldn't just leave it to run it's course as it was just rapidly
                  spreading and covering her whole body, making her life miserable, and
                  causing her to not eat. Our vet didn't rush to steroids, we tried other
                  things and the only thing that gave her any relief was the steroids and
                  nolvasan flush to clean the individual spots. No recurrence for years. Then
                  it recurred in her mouth. We did steroids again and it cleared up. The
                  ulcers seem gone now.

                  In all respects she seems otherwise normal. Her thyroid levels were normal
                  (we checked everything!). Today her ALT was down to 340, which is still
                  high, but lower. So it seems either the antibiotics or the Sam-e is helping,
                  but it's still worrisome. Her vet doesn't think it's liver disease, she
                  thinks it's the result of some infection that we've not been able to
                  pinpoint. She also doesn't think it's anything super-sinister (she's not
                  saying she's dying, she said the really bad things have been ruled out).

                  It could be her teeth even. Her teeth are horrible, she always has to have
                  them cleaned (which is of course risky with a heart kitty) because she gets
                  plaque buildup right away even with brushing. Our other cats almost never
                  need cleanings, but poor Boo. Our vet wants to get her liver values down
                  before we do her teeth again, though. I'm hoping she'll think they are low
                  enough now, as I suspect part of this might be bacteria from her teeth. Her
                  regular vet wasn't in today so we have to talk on Tuesday to see if the
                  values are down low enough to do the cleaning.

                  The vet who was on today gave her some anti-nausea meds. He said what we're
                  doing is working, so keep doing it. But she's not his patient, so he didn't
                  add much more. Argh.

                  Sue & Boo