Re: [FH] OT-constantly hungry

  • Cathy Mack
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
      Hi Sue,

      The first thing that comes to my mind is worms, especially since it's a kitten.
      I'm sure your vet will know to check for this. Kittens are often times born
      with worms.

      HTH,
      Cathy

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
        Worms, parasites, which can easily be missed even with a thorough examination of a fresh stool sample...especially b/c she's new to you...this might really be the problem. We have recently discussed...hyerT...you would need a full panel T3 & a T4...sent out to a lab designated for this such as the well respect Michigan State or the Jean Dodd lab in CA. US.
        HTH

        Marianna

      • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
          Thanks for the responses. I should have included more info:

          She's been wormed by her vet and by us. But, we'll have her checked again.
          I'm hoping that's all it is.

          She eats whole meat foods, no grains, no fillers. She's gaining weight just
          fine. But it's like she's just never feels full. Even when her sides are
          rounded out right after a meal--so I can see she IS full--she's still
          grubbing for more food.

          I'm thinking thyroid too, but my last thyroid kitty ate and ate and ate, but
          never gained weight. Is it typical for them to gain weight and be
          hyperthyroid?

          Sue & the Food Monster (aka Aimee) & Boo (who is tired of Aimee trying to
          steal her food)
        • Mmayer11
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2010
            Not typical, but possible.
            I think it still could be parasites. Sometimes it can be very difficult to get rid of even after multiple treatments.

            >I'm thinking thyroid too, but my last thyroid kitty ate and ate and ate, but
            >never gained weight. Is it typical for them to gain weight and be
            >hyperthyroid?>

            Marianna

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
              Hi

              Is she on a homemade diet? If so, is she getting the supplement taurine
              which is an essential amino acid for cats. I would also have her checked for
              diabetes as that can lead to an enormous appetite as well.

              Good luck. KIttens are often greedy critters and it's possible she is doing
              this a behavioural thing, snatching food because she's worried that more
              won't be coming. I`m sure a full work out at the vet will reassure you.

              As for eating things, yes, mine have done that. I`ve had a maltloaf, a pipe
              cleaner and a piece of string of 84 cm (I measured it) removed so far.

            • Suzianne Painter-Thorne
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
                Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, suggestions, and commiserations on
                constantly hungry kitten Aimee. We'll have her checked out and are just
                hoping this is "normal" kitten behavior that we apparently lucked out on
                with the other kittens!

                Now for my heart kitten Boo. She's about 3 years old, has HCM, takes
                benazipril, Natto, and Cardio-S for that. She's been pretty stable since her
                diagnosis at 6 months.

                For the last several months, she's been fighting an allergy type condition
                called rodent tumor (it has another more scientific-sounding name, but I
                can't recall it right now). She had this a couple years ago on her legs and
                this summer it went to her mouth. She was just miserable--withdrawn, inner
                eyelids covering her eyes, just dejected. We put her on some meds, she
                started to improve a little, but then leveled off still not quite herself.

                Took her to the vet about 2 weeks ago for a recheck and because her
                improvement had slowed, her blood work was all normal except for one liver
                value (ALT) that was through the roof (500 when normal range is below 100).
                Other values were all normal.

                Our vet thought it was some type of infection or bacteria. We put her on a
                broad spectrum antibiotic (baytril) and on Sam-e for her liver while we
                waited for the blood results on things like FIV, toxoplasmosis, FIP. All the
                bloodwork came back negative and she seems to have improved a lot on the
                baytril and sam-e. She's more social, her eyes are cleared up, she's not
                withdrawn. She's acting like Boo again.

                But, for the last couple days, she's been throwing up her Sam-e. So we
                switched from giving it before meals to after (it cannot be given with food,
                so it's either an hour before a meal or two hours after). That seemed to
                help.

                For the last two days, she seemed okay, then today she started throwing up
                in general. She's on her way to the vet now as we'd scheduled an appointment
                to rerun her blood work to check liver values. But I'm really worried about
                her. My husband thinks (hopes) she could just be having general gastric
                upset unconnected to all that she's been dealing with. But, I just don't
                know. If anyone has any thoughts, please share them. Otherwise, please send
                good vibes her way. She's really been through a lot in her short life.

                Sue & Boo
              • Cathy Mack
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
                  Hi Sue,

                  Could you mean a rodent ulcer? These are common in cats and I've had quite a
                  few kitties over the years get them. Vets tend to rush treatment with steroids,
                  but it's not an effective treatment because as soon as you stop, the rodent
                  ulcer can appear again. And heart kitties can't have steroids anyways.

                  IMO, the rodent ulcers are mostly from food allergies but other causes can be
                  attributed to them. I've found that the best way to treat them is to let it run
                  its course through the kitties own immune systems and naturally let it
                  disappear. The food allergies can be just from a single batch of food that had
                  one tiny ingredient differ, and I don't even change the food because the next
                  batch may be different. But if it persists or continually appears again, I have
                  changed foods at that point and it does disappear.

                  The elevated ALT liver value can sometimes be a result of hyperthyroidism, and
                  not liver disease at all. I had a vet internist one time tell me my kitty had
                  liver disease and a few months to live; a second opinion from a different vet
                  proved it to be hyperthyroidism. As soon as she got the radioactive iodine
                  treatment, the ALT was back to normal immediately. Did you have the free T4
                  checked in the blood panel?

                  HTH, best wishes,
                  Cathy

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
                    Rodent ulcer, that's it. Thanks.

                    She had it when she was about a year old and we did treat with oral steroids
                    (it's my understanding that oral steroids are ok, injectible steroids are
                    not--I don't want a bunch of emails with steroid horror stories, Boo has
                    been fine, has not gone into CHF). Boo does not have a great immune system,
                    so we couldn't just leave it to run it's course as it was just rapidly
                    spreading and covering her whole body, making her life miserable, and
                    causing her to not eat. Our vet didn't rush to steroids, we tried other
                    things and the only thing that gave her any relief was the steroids and
                    nolvasan flush to clean the individual spots. No recurrence for years. Then
                    it recurred in her mouth. We did steroids again and it cleared up. The
                    ulcers seem gone now.

                    In all respects she seems otherwise normal. Her thyroid levels were normal
                    (we checked everything!). Today her ALT was down to 340, which is still
                    high, but lower. So it seems either the antibiotics or the Sam-e is helping,
                    but it's still worrisome. Her vet doesn't think it's liver disease, she
                    thinks it's the result of some infection that we've not been able to
                    pinpoint. She also doesn't think it's anything super-sinister (she's not
                    saying she's dying, she said the really bad things have been ruled out).

                    It could be her teeth even. Her teeth are horrible, she always has to have
                    them cleaned (which is of course risky with a heart kitty) because she gets
                    plaque buildup right away even with brushing. Our other cats almost never
                    need cleanings, but poor Boo. Our vet wants to get her liver values down
                    before we do her teeth again, though. I'm hoping she'll think they are low
                    enough now, as I suspect part of this might be bacteria from her teeth. Her
                    regular vet wasn't in today so we have to talk on Tuesday to see if the
                    values are down low enough to do the cleaning.

                    The vet who was on today gave her some anti-nausea meds. He said what we're
                    doing is working, so keep doing it. But she's not his patient, so he didn't
                    add much more. Argh.

                    Sue & Boo