Supplements for HCM cats

  • maemarlowe
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31 11:46 AM
      Hi everyone

      I just have a quick question - I'm wondering if any of you out there have tried this supplement with your HCM cats:
      http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=CARDIO60&Category_Code=

      After reading up on the subject, I checked with my vets whether I could give my cat Taurine, Carnitine and Co Enzyme Q10 and he said that was fine, and I was glad to find a tablet with it all in, but there's lots of other stuff in this which I'm assuming is good but I'm nervous about it! My little cat Wolfie was diagnosed with HCM last week after we found a heart murmur, he's only just turned 1, so I'm trying to do best for him. He's been put on Forteknor, one tablet a day.

      Thanks for reading and hope all your cats are purring and happy :)

      Lissa x
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31 12:18 PM
        Hi Lissa; yes, this is something that lots of people use...in the states its called Cardio Strength, and most people seem very happy with it. good luck with little Wolfie...Judi and Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31 1:04 PM
          Hi everyone,
            Quick question -- Have any of you had cats with HCM (advanced stage) who experience increases in appetite? My cat Winston is eating like crazy though not gaining weight. He has "end stage" HCM (which he was diagnosed with in May of 09). He's done fairly well on the whole for the last year and a half on several meds (lasix, plavix, enalapril, pimobendan, and more recently we added spironolactone).

           I haven't spoken with his doctor yet about this but I will. I'm just curious if others have seen this. He's clearly slowed down over the last year and we worry about dehydration as it's a fine balancing act between the heart and the kidneys as you all know. He drinks a fair amount. It just seems a bit odd that his appetite for wet food in particular has increased. He eats the Fancy Feast... which I know is not the best thing he could be eating. I tried him with the special food for heart conditions. It did not go over well, and even his doctor shrugs and says at this point, it's not likely to make a huge difference and since his quality of life is important too, let him have the Fancy Feast.

          Any thoughts or experience w/ this?

          Thanks,
          Cathy & Winston

          At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston

        • Barbie
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31 1:10 PM
            I was told the Lasix would cause my cat to have more
            of an appetite.  She was always a big eater, some
            days I notice she eats more than others but I do find
            she has a pretty good appetite on the Lasix.

            Barbie

            see in them what I am".

            Gustav Klimt

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 31 3:30 PM
              hi Cathy,

              The thing that comes to mind is hyperthyroid. HyperT can make them want to eat and not gain weight, and in fact, they'll often lose weight. Has his thyroid okay?

              and the gang
            • C.R.
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 31 4:01 PM
                hi Lissa,

                This is supposed to be the same as the Cardio-Strength made by Vetri-Science, but I googled the ingredients and they're slightly different.

                Since it's very sensitive to air and light, I buy the DMG that comes in individually wrapped foil packaging. I get get the one made by FoodScience of Vermont (same company as VetriScience), and it's 125mg per tablet. The dose I give is 1/2 a tablet twice a day. It's sensitive to light and air, so after you cut the tablet, you need to wrap it up really good again and store it in the fridge. I also put it in a little zip lock bag to keep the air out, just to be extra sure it's stored well.

                Cardio Strength:
                L-Taurine 250 mg, L-Carnitine 250 mg, Dimethylglycine HCI 50 mgs, Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 25 mg, Vitamin E Supplement ( d-alpha tocopherol) 30 IU, Coenzyme Q10 20 mg, Gamma Linolenic Acid 10 mg, Folic Acid 0.9 mg, Magnesium (as Citrate/Malate) 0.5 mg, Potassium (as Citrate/Malate) 0.1.mg, Selenium (as Amino Acid Chelate) 0.007 mg, Rice flour, Vegetable stearate.

                Cardio S:
                L-carnitine 250mg, L-taurine 250mg, Co-enzyme Q10 20mg, Folic Acid 0.9mg, Magnesium 0.5mg, Vitamin E 30iu, EPA Eicosapentaenoic Acid 25mg, Gamma linolenic Acid (GLA) 10mg, Potassium 0.1mg, Selenium 0.007mg

                I think this supplement is a good one. May folks here have had their kitties on it.

                and the gang

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "maemarlowe" <maemarlowe@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone
                >
                > I just have a quick question - I'm wondering if any of you out there have tried this supplement with your HCM cats:
                > http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=CARDIO60&Category_Code=

              • Wendy Solem
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 31 5:04 PM
                  Hi Carol,

                  That's an interesting point and well taken. When my Tino went into congestive
                  heart failure the first time they immediately checked thyroid as well.

                  Sure enough, it was "out of whack and he's on thyroid meds as well.

                  All seem to be helping him and thankfully he's doing great. I would never have
                  thought to check thyroid - I was told that it could also stress his heart
                  (thankfully its under control now!) - good point Carol!

                  Good luck Cathy!

                  Wendy "Tino" and "Joey"

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 31 5:14 PM
                    Hi all,

                    Thanks for this bit of info as my Wasabi is always hungry and is losing weight slowly. He has HCM also. So guess
                    I need to have this checked !! I so appreciate all that I read, and believe me I read everything that comes thru this site. So good to have you all there, despite the circumstances. All knowledge is so good so we can deal with what we have to with this disease.

                    suze, wasabi, kirin and meiko

                    To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 31 6:38 PM
                      Hi Carol,
                         His thyroid when checked about a month ago was normal. Not sure what is ocurring here. Am catching on reading email re: this. You guys are all so helpful. I appreciate all the info. I will double check on thyroid issues too just in case,

                    • carolroar@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31 7:01 PM
                        hi Cathy,

                        If you do get more bloodwork done and have the thyroid checked again, I highlly recommend they send the sample down to Hemopet labs. Dr. Jean Dodds is an expert on thyroid conditions. Here's where you can read more info about Dr. Dodds and the Hemopet labs.
                        http://itsfortheanimals.com/HEMOPET.HTM

                        After years of getting bloodwork done by the local labs and relying on their info with regard to the thyroid levels for our guys, we were astonished to find that most of the time they weren't accurate with the thyroid testing. Our angel Snowball always had "normal" thyroid readings on the regular bloodwork, but she exhibited so many hyperthyroid symtoms. I found out about Dr. Dodds and Hemopet, and when we had Snowball's blood sample sent down to her lab, it did indeed come back that Snowball was very hyperthyroid. So now we only use Dr. Dodds Hemopet for the thyroid testing. It's a little more expensive and takes a little more effort on our part (we have to pack it up to send down to them by overnight courier), but it's been so worth it to have accurate readings.

                        and the gang

                      • Barbie
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 31 7:04 PM
                           If you just recently had her thyroid checked chances
                          are it is probably something else.   Though not very common,
                          there is a condition called ulcerative suppurative rhinitis.
                          This is basically a fancy term for an autoimmune disease
                          which causes sores that produce a pus-like or mucus
                          discharge in the nasal passages.

                          Barbie

                          see in them what I am".

                          Gustav Klimt

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 1, 2010
                            Hi Lissa

                            That is Cardio S in the UK and mine have been on it years and have been
                            stable. It's a huge pill but mine swallow it in chicken easily enough and it
                            seems to have helped a lot.

                          • elfinmyst@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 1, 2010
                              Hi Cathy

                              Has Winston had his thyroid checked? My HCM boy, Josh was eating like crazy
                              and getting thinner and had hyperthyroid. There are two blood tests, T3
                              and T4 and Josh had the T4 and was found to be hyperthyroid. He has tablets
                              for this daily and it has also helped to stabilise his heart.

                              Josh is struggling thyroid, heart and kidneys too, so it's a balancing act.
                              Thyroid malfunction can also make heart problems worse and if he hasn't
                              had it checked I would get that done immediately.

                              :) Lyn