Re: Life after Feline Heart Disease

  • brunobaby@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
      Hi, Jill! Good to hear from you.

      Loving a new generation of pets sure goes a long way toward
      filling the gap in your heart. We adopted Chico, a young rescue
      cat, back in August. We're volunteering with the rescue to get
      some of his relatives adopted now.

      I wanted a cat who'd remind me of Pongo in some ways without
      being a carbon copy, and Chico fits the bill. He's sweet, lanky
      and vocal, an orange tabby who's part Siamese. He's smaller
      than Pongo -- I doubt you'd see a cat bigger than Pongo outside
      a wildlife preserve -- but in some ways he's like Pongo's kid.

      Also, I was single when I adopted Phoebe and Pongo, and the
      Pong sort of imprinted on me from Day One. This time we
      wanted a cat who would bond with my husband, too. I could
      never duplicate the relationship we had, but I don't have to.

      We were lucky to have Pongo for so long, and he was lucky to
      have been loved and cared for the way he was. Both he and
      Phoebe enjoyed attention and good care from the time they
      could leave their mom. Chico wasn't as lucky as they were, since
      he'd been neglected as a kitten. He was owned by a little old lady
      who collected dozens of cats and couldn't provide for them, and
      didn't neuter or spay them. He's a robust little guy now, healthy
      as an ox. He's had some trouble with his teeth and gums, but
      after tending to a cat with Cardiomyopathy, a little dental
      treatment is like a walk in the park.

      Pongo lives on in our memories, and the stories we tell about
      him, and the pictures. It's not the same as having him here to
      pet, hold and be annoyed by, but we still have his sister to
      remind us how beautiful he was, and we have the new guy to
      start making his own stories.

      --Melinda, Jim, Phoebe, Chico, Pongo(RB)