Re: [feline-heart] topical diltiazem

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
      Laura Penny wrote:

      > Please tell us more! Where do you get it? My two cats hate the diltiazem
      > compound so much that they foam at the mouth afterwards.

      Another possible solution is to put diltiazem in a gelcap. That's what we did
      along with other medication. A size 3 gelcap is small enough for a kitty, but
      big enough to hold several medications, and they can't taste them.

      Anyes and the girls
    • cjclinki@coastalnet.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2001
        --- In feline-heart@y..., "Laura Penny" <lepenny@e...> wrote:
        > Please tell us more! Where do you get it? My two cats hate the
        diltiazem
        > compound so much that they foam at the mouth afterwards.

        I feel sympathy for you as I remember how much Cokie HATED the
        diltiazem. Anyways, I'm not sure I'm supposed to give out the
        pharmacy info on the list. Is it okay to do that?? If not, please
        email me personally (cjclinki <at> coastalnet.com), and I'll be happy
        to give you the info. It's out of state for me, but I can order
        refills over the phone and they ship it fedex. They have a website
        and seem to specialize in compounding medicine, especially for pets.

        It's weird but I can't remember how I found out that this stuff even
        existed! Oh wait, I think it was by calling that pharmacy and
        begging for some flavor idea that would help. They suggested the
        topical stuff. I remember convincing my vet to prescribe it. The
        pharmacy assured us it was commonly used, and offered to give him a
        list of vets to contact. Was also reassured by another vet and
        another pharmacy. We've had no ill effects and she is doing very
        well.

        Cokie (the ferret) gets 2.5 mg of diltiazem twice daily and the
        amount of medicine-cream I rub into her skin is 0.25 ml. The
        instructions say to rub into the inside of the ear or a non-hairy
        area. She has bald spots (a different story)so I've never had to try
        her ears!! Then I wash my hands--although the dose is so small I'm
        not too worried about getting my own dose of heart medicine!

        Please email me and I'll give you the pharmacy info, or if it's
        acceptable to give it to the list, let me know and I will!!

        Celia and Cokie
      • mukki2@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2001
          Well, Zellene recommended www.bcpvetpharm.com to me in a message and
          I know they make topical solutions. I also wanted to say that the
          tuna-flavored vet chews from bcp have been a life-saver. My cat's
          breathing was getting horrible during the week I was forcing liquid
          amoxicillin down his throat -- he still hasn't recovered fully. I had
          my vet fill the rest of the prescription at bcp in the chews and my
          cat eats them after I smoosh them and mix them in some wet food (he
          simply doesn't like chunky or chewy things). I really think he would
          have died if I had given him the full 3 week dose orally -- he was
          getting THAT bad. Thanks for the rec, Zellene!!

        • cjclinki@coastalnet.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2001
            --- In feline-heart@y..., mukki2@y... wrote:
            > Well, Zellene recommended www.bcpvetpharm.com to me in a message
            and
            > I know they make topical solutions.

            Okay, then, since we can recommend like that--the pharmacy I use
            (that makes topical diltiazem) is www.martinavenue.com. Although the
            website lists TONS of flavors, you gotta call to any any more info.
            The number is 630-355-6400. (Illinois).

            Celia