topical diltiazem

  • cjclinki@coastalnet.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
      Has anyone had any experience with using a formula of diltiazem
      compounded so that it is rubbed on the skin instead of taken orally?
      This has worked well for my ferret for at least a year now, but I am
      still curious about others' experiences. We tried compounding the
      diltiazem for oral dosing, but the taste was still extremely
      unacceptable, and the dose ended up being huge, so to avoid twice
      daily torture sessions we tried the topical stuff and it seems to be
      working well.

      Just curious,
      Celia
    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
        Please tell us more! Where do you get it? My two cats hate the diltiazem
        compound so much that they foam at the mouth afterwards.

        Thanks!

        Laura, Lucky, & Kassy

        >Has anyone had any experience with using a formula of diltiazem
        >compounded so that it is rubbed on the skin instead of taken orally?
        >This has worked well for my ferret for at least a year now, but I am
        >still curious about others' experiences. We tried compounding the
        >diltiazem for oral dosing, but the taste was still extremely
        >unacceptable, and the dose ended up being huge, so to avoid twice
        >daily torture sessions we tried the topical stuff and it seems to be
        >working well.
        >
        >Just curious,
        >Celia

      • Anyes Moscrip
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
          Laura Penny wrote:

          > Please tell us more! Where do you get it? My two cats hate the diltiazem
          > compound so much that they foam at the mouth afterwards.

          Another possible solution is to put diltiazem in a gelcap. That's what we did
          along with other medication. A size 3 gelcap is small enough for a kitty, but
          big enough to hold several medications, and they can't taste them.

          Anyes and the girls
        • cjclinki@coastalnet.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2001
            --- In feline-heart@y..., "Laura Penny" <lepenny@e...> wrote:
            > Please tell us more! Where do you get it? My two cats hate the
            diltiazem
            > compound so much that they foam at the mouth afterwards.

            I feel sympathy for you as I remember how much Cokie HATED the
            diltiazem. Anyways, I'm not sure I'm supposed to give out the
            pharmacy info on the list. Is it okay to do that?? If not, please
            email me personally (cjclinki <at> coastalnet.com), and I'll be happy
            to give you the info. It's out of state for me, but I can order
            refills over the phone and they ship it fedex. They have a website
            and seem to specialize in compounding medicine, especially for pets.

            It's weird but I can't remember how I found out that this stuff even
            existed! Oh wait, I think it was by calling that pharmacy and
            begging for some flavor idea that would help. They suggested the
            topical stuff. I remember convincing my vet to prescribe it. The
            pharmacy assured us it was commonly used, and offered to give him a
            list of vets to contact. Was also reassured by another vet and
            another pharmacy. We've had no ill effects and she is doing very
            well.

            Cokie (the ferret) gets 2.5 mg of diltiazem twice daily and the
            amount of medicine-cream I rub into her skin is 0.25 ml. The
            instructions say to rub into the inside of the ear or a non-hairy
            area. She has bald spots (a different story)so I've never had to try
            her ears!! Then I wash my hands--although the dose is so small I'm
            not too worried about getting my own dose of heart medicine!

            Please email me and I'll give you the pharmacy info, or if it's
            acceptable to give it to the list, let me know and I will!!

            Celia and Cokie
          • mukki2@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2001
              Well, Zellene recommended www.bcpvetpharm.com to me in a message and
              I know they make topical solutions. I also wanted to say that the
              tuna-flavored vet chews from bcp have been a life-saver. My cat's
              breathing was getting horrible during the week I was forcing liquid
              amoxicillin down his throat -- he still hasn't recovered fully. I had
              my vet fill the rest of the prescription at bcp in the chews and my
              cat eats them after I smoosh them and mix them in some wet food (he
              simply doesn't like chunky or chewy things). I really think he would
              have died if I had given him the full 3 week dose orally -- he was
              getting THAT bad. Thanks for the rec, Zellene!!

            • cjclinki@coastalnet.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2001
                --- In feline-heart@y..., mukki2@y... wrote:
                > Well, Zellene recommended www.bcpvetpharm.com to me in a message
                and
                > I know they make topical solutions.

                Okay, then, since we can recommend like that--the pharmacy I use
                (that makes topical diltiazem) is www.martinavenue.com. Although the
                website lists TONS of flavors, you gotta call to any any more info.
                The number is 630-355-6400. (Illinois).

                Celia