  • Barbie
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2010
      Well our day at the Pet Hospital yesterday went better
      than expecting in that everyone was very nice and gentle
      with my little girl Nunu.  Although the Dr. said she
      got very angry during the test for echo.  She said Nunu
      called her many many bad names LOL.  And I know
      she did, and if Nunu could have punched her in the mouth
      she would have done that too.  hehehe.  Bless her
      fat furry heart.  We got her there at 9 and picked her up
      at 4.

      She was diagnosec with HCM.  I so so hoping that it
      wouldn't be that, but I was pretty sure of the diagnosis
      myself before even getting there.  It was kinda funny
      because here I had two vets telling me they didn't know
      what was going on.  And after a week of research and
      asking questions here---I knew what her problem was
      and I told my vet here what I suspected she had.  He must
      be thinking hmmmm she was right!  She did say Nunu
      got pretty angry but at no time did she lose her breath
      or start breathing from her mouth.  Her heart rate right now
      is about 180 and last week it was 243 if I remember correctly.
      So that drop in rate just from the lasix and I am not even
      certain if lasix helps heart rate but I would imagine it does
      being it takes fluid away making it easier to breath.  She
      also said the x-ray looked much better in that it was much
      less cloudy than the one taken a week before.  So she
      said the lasix did help her quite a bit.  I'm a bit confused
      though with the medication dose on the lasix.  She said to
      try to hold off for about a week on the lasix.  I'm not sure
      if it is to let the other drugs work properly.  Then I got
      conflicted when the nurse told my husband to give it once a day.
      So now I had to call and confirm that drug, because one
      place it says to give once a day and the other spot it says
      wait a week.  So that is rather confusing.  So waiting on there
      call right now.  I had a few other questions but for the life
      of me I can't remember.  Hate that.

      I did find it a bit funny that she was not treated with any
      meds yesterday to start her off.  She is being put on compounded
      aspirin mixed with almond oil.  They asked if I prefer
      vegetable oil or almond oil.  I knew the vegetable oil was
      hydrogenated so I asked and they said it was from what
      they understood.  I know that is definitely not good for
      a heart patient.  So I chose the almond oil mixture.  It
      still has not been made up yet but will be ready later
      this afternoon.  I wish they would have had some available
      at the Emergency pet hospital which again I find a bit strange.
      They also put her on Atenolol which is kinda funny because
      my husband takes the same medication for his heart.  She wants
      her to take the blood thinner (aspirin) first so that she is
      less likely to throw a clot when we start her on the Atenolol
      in three days after taking the aspirin which will be given
      every 72 hours which I have read on many post here that it
      seems to be the usualy dose.  So that is it.  She said if she
      doesn't act well to the meds that we may need to decide to
      put her down.  Her disease is progressing very fast she said.  She
      was able to tell that since Nunu had her checkup just 6 months
      ago and there was no murmur or at least none was noticed.
      The vet here said he thought the murmur was a 5/6 but she
      said she has to disagree with him and she diagnosed the murmur
      at a 2/3.  Which was good news but again like she said
      the disease seems to be progressing at a fast rate and she may
      not do well on the drug therapy at all.  I want to wait to see
      how she reacts to the drugs and if my husband and I think her
      quality of life is nothing near what it was, we have decided to
      let her go peacefully rather than her dying a painful death most
      likely from a clot.  We don't have emergency care here and you
      have to drive several hours to get it.  There is no way she
      would survive that long for us to get help for her.  It would be
      an easier decision to keep her with us, if we had the help we needed
      here.  But unfortunetly we do not.

      So now we are going to enjoy the time with her and take one day
      at a time.  But of course her time will be very much limited if she
      doesn't do well on the drug therapy given.

      Thank you everyone for giving advice and answering my questions
      so quickly.  I really appreciated it.  The support I received here
      really kept me in a much more calmer state than I was previous
      to joining just days ago.

      I feel much better now that she has a diagnosis and we can finally
      make the appropriate decisions for her now.  It has lifted some
      stress but of course certainly not all because now we know we
      are dealing with a terminal illness and it is heartbreaking.

      Hoping everyone has a great day.

      Barbie

      see in them what I am".

      Gustav Klimt

    • Kristen G
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2010
        Hi Barbie -- I just wanted to send you a quick message to say that meds have
        made a big difference with my Duffer. She was diagnosed last April (April 2009)
        with HCM and CHF. She had fluid in her lungs at that time. She was given an
        injection of lasix and started out with 2.5mg Enalapril and 12.5mg lasix, split
        into two doses and given twice per day. At her 6 month checkup, the Enalapril
        had improved her heart measurements and she was doing great, so we went down to
        one dose of the lasix per day. She is now considered stable and is living large
        with HCM because you couldn't tell that anything is wrong with her.

        I hope that your Nunu will respond to her treatment similarly and you will have
        lots more time with her. In the beginning, I was so worried about the Duffer
        and couldn't stop crying. Now, I know that something could go wrong at any
        second and I just am thankful for the time that I have had with her.

        Kristen