Re: [feline-heart] Life after Feline Heart Disease

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
      Jill,

      Your message brought tears to my eyes. Knowing about all these diseases reminds me to treasure every moment with my kitties and not to take anything for granted.

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
        Hi, Jill! Good to hear from you.

        Loving a new generation of pets sure goes a long way toward
        filling the gap in your heart. We adopted Chico, a young rescue
        cat, back in August. We're volunteering with the rescue to get
        some of his relatives adopted now.

        I wanted a cat who'd remind me of Pongo in some ways without
        being a carbon copy, and Chico fits the bill. He's sweet, lanky
        and vocal, an orange tabby who's part Siamese. He's smaller
        than Pongo -- I doubt you'd see a cat bigger than Pongo outside
        a wildlife preserve -- but in some ways he's like Pongo's kid.

        Also, I was single when I adopted Phoebe and Pongo, and the
        Pong sort of imprinted on me from Day One. This time we
        wanted a cat who would bond with my husband, too. I could
        never duplicate the relationship we had, but I don't have to.

        We were lucky to have Pongo for so long, and he was lucky to
        have been loved and cared for the way he was. Both he and
        Phoebe enjoyed attention and good care from the time they
        could leave their mom. Chico wasn't as lucky as they were, since
        he'd been neglected as a kitten. He was owned by a little old lady
        who collected dozens of cats and couldn't provide for them, and
        didn't neuter or spay them. He's a robust little guy now, healthy
        as an ox. He's had some trouble with his teeth and gums, but
        after tending to a cat with Cardiomyopathy, a little dental
        treatment is like a walk in the park.

        Pongo lives on in our memories, and the stories we tell about
        him, and the pictures. It's not the same as having him here to
        pet, hold and be annoyed by, but we still have his sister to
        remind us how beautiful he was, and we have the new guy to
        start making his own stories.

        --Melinda, Jim, Phoebe, Chico, Pongo(RB)