Re: [feline-heart] Life after Feline Heart Disease

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
      Jill,

      Your message brought tears to my eyes. Knowing about all these diseases reminds me to treasure every moment with my kitties and not to take anything for granted.

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
        Just figured I'd check in. It's been almost a year now since we lost Oliver
        to HCM/CHF/CRF. Sometimes it seems like yesterday. Remember that we lost
        our other cat to CRF three weeks later.

        We adopted a docile but very frightened feral cat after losing Oliver, and a
        very sweet, very social cat after losing Wendy. Our feral (Jenny) is now
        coming along nicely in socialization, and Maggie, our other new cat, is so
        much like Ollie I feel that he sent her to us; that she is the cat he wanted
        us to have since he couldn't be with us any longer.

        Losing Wendy and Ollie was the most gut-wrenching thing I've ever been
        through. I also lost my stepfather right in the middle of all that, and
        even that wasn't as bad. But now we have two young, healthy cats and I'm
        grateful for them, even though I know part of this pact is that I will have
        to deal with it again one day.

        Many of you are facing the prospect of losing your beloved furry children in
        the foreseeable future. I wanted to post to let you know that it DOES get
        better. It does. You never forget -- we were in Jamaica last week, and
        right in the middle of paradise I started thinking about Ollie and got
        weepy. But day-to-day life gets better, and loving a new generation is the
        best possible tribute.

        Jill

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
          Hi, Jill! Good to hear from you.

          Loving a new generation of pets sure goes a long way toward
          filling the gap in your heart. We adopted Chico, a young rescue
          cat, back in August. We're volunteering with the rescue to get
          some of his relatives adopted now.

          I wanted a cat who'd remind me of Pongo in some ways without
          being a carbon copy, and Chico fits the bill. He's sweet, lanky
          and vocal, an orange tabby who's part Siamese. He's smaller
          than Pongo -- I doubt you'd see a cat bigger than Pongo outside
          a wildlife preserve -- but in some ways he's like Pongo's kid.

          Also, I was single when I adopted Phoebe and Pongo, and the
          Pong sort of imprinted on me from Day One. This time we
          wanted a cat who would bond with my husband, too. I could
          never duplicate the relationship we had, but I don't have to.

          We were lucky to have Pongo for so long, and he was lucky to
          have been loved and cared for the way he was. Both he and
          Phoebe enjoyed attention and good care from the time they
          could leave their mom. Chico wasn't as lucky as they were, since
          he'd been neglected as a kitten. He was owned by a little old lady
          who collected dozens of cats and couldn't provide for them, and
          didn't neuter or spay them. He's a robust little guy now, healthy
          as an ox. He's had some trouble with his teeth and gums, but
          after tending to a cat with Cardiomyopathy, a little dental
          treatment is like a walk in the park.

          Pongo lives on in our memories, and the stories we tell about
          him, and the pictures. It's not the same as having him here to
          pet, hold and be annoyed by, but we still have his sister to
          remind us how beautiful he was, and we have the new guy to
          start making his own stories.

          --Melinda, Jim, Phoebe, Chico, Pongo(RB)