Winston-Spironolactone

  • default
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2010
      i was giving hootie Spiro and jsut stopped it because he really didn't like it. It was compounded into a chicken flavor liquid med (which he otherwise likes) but he'd stay far away from it. It was .i dosage and the mixture was 4.5 mg per ml (if that helps). My vet and I discussed it and decided to go back to lasix, which Hootie didn't mind at all.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2010
        Hi

        I have four cats on spiro. They take a quarter of a tablet daily A tablet
        is 28mg or 25 mg depending on brand so they got about 6-7mg each) Trixi
        also has the same dose at night. No one has had any ill effects and they just
        gulp it down in chicken. Two of these cats couldn't take lasix because of
        kidney problems and the spiro has kept the fluid under control.

        :) Lyn

      • nicholeandmilo
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
          Hi Melissa,
          I am sorry to hear of Winstons issues. I give spironolactone to my Moto with HCM. He gets 1/4 of a 25mg tablet every morning.

          When he went into heart failure in January '10 for the first time since his HCM diagnosis (January 2006) his kidney values were ever so slightly elevated so the vet opted to put him on spiro as well as lasix, but the hope was he could be on a low dose lasix. She didn't think spiro alone would keep fluid at bay based on how fast it accumulated and how much. He also had pleural effusion.

          I hope you can find a happy combo of meds for your boy.

          Nichole