Re: [FH] Winston- not doing well.

  • Cathy Mack
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hi there,

      I had a kitty that had such low potassium that she started walking on her
      "hocks" of her back legs, instead of the pads of her feet, and hanging her head
      low. She was tired all the time and lethargic. We supplemented with Tumil-K
      potassium, and she returned to normal within just a few days. We had to
      continue the potassium however to prevent it from occurring again. She was on
      fluids so the potassium just kept getting washed out of her body.

      When you test for the potassium level in a blood panel, some vets are now
      agreeing that even on the low end of normal, it is dangerously low because only
      one type of potassium is being measured. The second type of potassium level is
      contained in the muscles and can't be tested to see if it's too low. The theory
      is that if the potassium level found in the blood is at the end of normal low,
      then the potassium found in the muscles can be dangerously low.

      Too much potassium is also dangerous, so you'll need to monitor the situation
      so that while he gets enough, it's not too much either.

      HTH and best to you and Winston,