Fw: [FH] Winston- not doing well.

  • Kristen G
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2010
      This should have gone to the list. Does anyone know anything about low
      potassium?

      I have a dog with Addison's disease, so I know that low potassium can cause
      muscle cramping and high blood pressure. I have also read about lasix washing
      out potassium, which could be what happened with Winston. Maybe Potassium
      supplements?

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2010
        In humans Lasix can deplete potassium very rapidly. I did talk to my vet
        about this when Vizzy was on Lasix, and he said it isn't such a big issue in
        cats, but it doesn't hurt to check. I wouldn't put Winston on potassium
        supplements without knowing his current level. High potassium can and will
        damage the heart, so you want to be sure it's low before you supplement.
        Could he be constipated?

        Cheryl

        ________________________________
        >>Winston was 16 nmonths onl last month, and diagnosed at 6 months with HCM.

        >>Pretty severe. His current meds are lasix, HCTZ, enalapril, diltiazem,
        asprin,
        >>and nitrobid cream.
        >>

        >>He had a previous bout of CHF last year, which eventually resolved. He
        went back
        >>into CHF in June 2010. Every 3-4 days I have been giving him sub q lasix
        instead
        >>of oral, as it seems to keep the fluid at bay for alittle while.
        >>
        >>For the past few days, Winston has been very lethargic, laying in strange
        spots
        >>around the house and just acting very tired.
        >>

        >>Everytime we go back to vet, he goes back into CHF, so he is kind of on a
        "no
        >>travel" order. Have any of you experience this type of "depressive"
        period? He
        >>is still eating, drinking, and using his potty.
        >>

        >>Please help.
        >>
        >>Melissa

        01:35:00
      • Kristen G
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2010
          Yes, knowing the potassium level is critical -- I wasn't suggesting
          supplementing until you know the levels -- sorry for any confusion. My
          Addisonian dog has had high potassium and it is very dangerous. I hope the
          blood work comes back soon so that you will know more about what is wrong with
          Winston.

          Thinking of you and Winston,
          Kristen

          ________________________________

          >>Winston was 16 nmonths onl last month, and diagnosed at 6 months with HCM.

          >>Pretty severe. His current meds are lasix, HCTZ, enalapril, diltiazem,
          asprin,
          >>and nitrobid cream.
          >>

          >>He had a previous bout of CHF last year, which eventually resolved. He
          went back
          >>into CHF in June 2010. Every 3-4 days I have been giving him sub q lasix
          instead
          >>of oral, as it seems to keep the fluid at bay for alittle while.
          >>
          >>For the past few days, Winston has been very lethargic, laying in strange
          spots
          >>around the house and just acting very tired.
          >>

          >>Everytime we go back to vet, he goes back into CHF, so he is kind of on a
          "no
          >>travel" order. Have any of you experience this type of "depressive"
          period? He
          >>is still eating, drinking, and using his potty.
          >>

          >>Please help.
          >>
          >>Melissa

          01:35:00

        • Cathy Mack
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2010
            Hi there,

            I had a kitty that had such low potassium that she started walking on her
            "hocks" of her back legs, instead of the pads of her feet, and hanging her head
            low. She was tired all the time and lethargic. We supplemented with Tumil-K
            potassium, and she returned to normal within just a few days. We had to
            continue the potassium however to prevent it from occurring again. She was on
            fluids so the potassium just kept getting washed out of her body.

            When you test for the potassium level in a blood panel, some vets are now
            agreeing that even on the low end of normal, it is dangerously low because only
            one type of potassium is being measured. The second type of potassium level is
            contained in the muscles and can't be tested to see if it's too low. The theory
            is that if the potassium level found in the blood is at the end of normal low,
            then the potassium found in the muscles can be dangerously low.

            Too much potassium is also dangerous, so you'll need to monitor the situation
            so that while he gets enough, it's not too much either.

            HTH and best to you and Winston,
            Cathy