RE: [FH] Doodle's not doing well

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010
      Sorry to hear about Doodle...I would add Nattokinasse to help prevent clots. Good luck with him...Judi and Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: kmelrose@...
      Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 16:50:45 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Doodle's not doing well

      Hi all. I don't post often but I read the mail-outs and the group has been so valuable to us since Doodle was diagnosed with restrictive cardiomyopathy in 2008.

      He is now 8 years old and isn't doing so well. He's lost a load of weight from round his haunches and was breathing so hard last night, we thought we'd better take him to the vet.

      She can feel fluid in the lungs and a mass on his liver :-( The mass definitely isn't food; too hard. She suspects cancer but does not think we should investigate given his heart condition - she thinks anaesthetic, or even sedation to do an ultrasound, would be very unwise.

      The good news is that he is so well in terms of his subjective experience of his day to day life - he has a great appetite, loves to go outside and is totally mobile, and purrs all the time. Yes he coughs every day, but the coughing fits last less than 30 secs and he never gets panicky.

      I just thought I'd post too see whether anyone has had a similar diagnosis. Doodle's insurance is no longer covering the heart condition (I think it will cover the liver provided that isn't a byproduct of his heart condition). He is on frusemide (dose increased today as his fluid retention is bad), atenonol, CoQ10, and CardioS.

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010
        Hi

        Sorry to hear Doodle is poorly. Has he had his weight loss investigated as
        a possiblity of hyperthyroid. That causes weight loss and a great appetite
        which you are experiencing with him. He's also about the right age and it
        would require a blood test to diagnose. My Josh has thyroid medications
        which is a daily pill. A thyroid problem can make the HCM worse too.

        The fluid needs aggressive treatment I agree. That needs to be dealt with
        and if the frucimide doesn't control it ask about spironolactone which works
        alongside it.

        I have no advice about a liver mass, I am sorry but have never experienced
        this. It could be anything from an enlarged lymph node to a tumour but the
        fact he has a great appetite would be some reasurance. I would ask for full
        bloods to see how the liver function is and a thyroid test at the same
        time.

        Let us know how he goes on and if he has had his thyroid tested.