Rudy / failing and being perscribed pimobendan

  • leohorse1
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hello everyone...I have not posted in a very long time as Rudy has been doing quite well. It has been over 2 years since we first discovered he had heart problems. He will be 19 in October. But the last couple of weeks he has not felt good (lethargic) and echo on Thursday confirmed that his heart condition has gone from mild to moderate. The left side of his heart is much worse, however, the cardiologist said, suprisingly, there is no thickening of the heart walls. He currently takes Enalapril, Spironolactin, Lasix, meds for his thyroid, and plavix. They did not find any fluid build-up, just that his heart is getting worse.

      The cardiologist is starting him on pimobendan. She explained that it is just recently being used for cats, the history on it is in dogs but she has had some success in cats. We are hoping that will help him to feel better during whatever time he has left. Has anyone had any experience with pimobendan?

      Thank you for any information you can give me. In addition to being close to losing my dear Rudy, I am on the verge of losing two of my horses to illness so there is great sadness at my house these days. Any encouragement you have would be appreciated.

      Thank you!

      Denise & "Rudy"
    • Westgold

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
          Hi Denise; I have no experience with it, but I have seen several members of the blog who related excellent experiences using pimobendan...I hope it works well for Rudy! I'm so sorry for all you are going through, you've had your boy for so long you must be very close...hopefully this will make him feel better...good luck...Judi and Max

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
            Dear Denise,

            I don't have any experience with this drug. Hopefully it will help Rudy. What a special relationship you must have, so much shared life in 19 years! I am thinking of you both.
            Like you, I have found to my sorrow that it seems crisis comes in twos and threes. I have had the hardship of losing both my beloved horse and dog within 10 days of each other. I feel for you.
            Tonight I will light a candle for your beleaguered family.
            Hugs to you and Rudy.

            Marianna

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2010
              Hi Denise

              Trixi takes Vetmedin (pimobendan) and has had excellent results. She had a
              heart attack a year ago and this really was a last resort drug and her
              chances of survival were virtually nil. Trixi has HCM and at her last scan, the
              heart muscle was recovered and the HCM had regressed. I say this
              cautiously as there is a possibility that the heart attack actually destroyed some
              of the thickened walls.

              BUT.. Trixi is here with us and I put that partly down to the pimobendan. I
              would recommend it for any of my pets.