Re: [FH] another Stripes update

  • s.theye
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2010
      That reminds me Jerith, you might want to join the FLUTD yahoo group. I have learned a lot from the knowledgable folks on that list. They also have suggestions for natural anti-inflammatories like marshmallow root, cornsilk, and glucosamine for bladder irritation.

      Also, regarding surgery, I found this when I looked up "strictures" on an ACVS website-
      >When to seek referral
      Cats that have strictures of the urethra, or high obstructions, are more difficult to correct surgically. Surgery in these cats should be performed by an ACVS Veterinary Surgeon. (Find a Surgeon)<

      Hopefully Stripes won't need that surgery once his urethra and bladder have a chance to heal. I know that it took Jack a number of weeks to stop dribbling and feel better. That's why they chose to lengthen his time on the phenoxybenzamine. But he never re-blocked once they pulled his catheter. I remember the vet saying that it is a fine line on how long to leave the catheter in place. Pulled too soon might re-block, left in too long is irritating to the urethra. I wonder if the reinserting of the catheter is a catch 22, also adding to the irritation....sure feel for your family and Stripes, sending healing wishes your way!

      Shelley