OT: Squeek update - Wed night - a little better

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2010
      hi everyone,

      I've been so touched by your outpouring of caring and concern for us. I started crying reading the posts and the candle. Thank you all so, so much! I can't tell you how much it helps to deal with this.

      My holistic vet called me and told me she went to see Squeek at the hospital and gave Squeek the acupuncture. She said they'd just finished the blood transfusion and that Squeek was more alert and responding to things than when we were there in the morning. She also talked with the internist, so now we've got all three of the vets working together...my regular vet, holistic vet and the internist. I never thought I'd have a good team to help us like this, but I'm so grateful they all came to work together for Squeek.

      We went back at 4pm and they let us stay in an exam room with Squeek this time. In the a.m. she was in the intensive care cage so we couldn't stay long. This afternoon we got to stay from 4pm till 6:20pm, so that was great. Squeek looked better and was walking around and I fed her and she ate all her food they gave us to give her. She wouldn't eat out of the dish, so I fed her off my finger and she ate it all. The internist came in and talked to us and told us her HCT/PCV was up to 21 this afternoon, and they weren't going to check it again till morning, so I hope it holds. They did another platelet count, but that won't be back till tomorrow. I hope it's not any lower. I can't imagine she'll survive if it gets lower than 10. We'll just try to think positive. If her platelets aren't better, the next thing is to test the bone marrow...not looking forward to that with her, because they'd have to sedate her to do it.

      Oh, and the internist also told us the FIP test came back NEGATIVE! I'm so relieve about that.

      They just called us tonight at 10:45pm and told us since we left she's just been sleeping mostly, so I hope it's just because she resting and not wiped out. They woke her to give her food at 8pm and meds and they said she ate and went back to sleep and has been ever since. They actually agreed to give her some Chinese herbs that my holistic vet wanted her to have, so I was happy for that. I don't know if it will help, but I'm glad to try it anyway. It would be so great if it helps. I gave her a capsule when we were there at 6pm and they're going to give her a second dose at 2am to keep her on an 8 hour schedule. The herb is called Yunnan Baiyao (or Paiyao), and it's supposed to help stop internal bleeding.

      So now we're just going to wait through the night and hope that the phone doesn't ring. They told us they won't call again unless it's something serious going on...they said if they don't call we can assume that everything is okay. I didn't sleep hardly at all last night, and probably won't tonight either. I feel like a zombie, but I have to tell ya... seeing her walking around was just so great. I couldn't get her to purr at all, but maybe she will tomorrow. I'm still so very worried that they may not find the cause of the thrombocytopenia. I just hope we can, so we can figure out how to treat her. It's only been a day and a half since this all happened, but I feel like it's been forever - I'm so exhausted.

      Thanks again, everyone, for everything. It means the world to us.

      hugs,
      and Squeek and the gang

    • Gene Angelino
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2010
        This is great news!! BRAVO Squeak!!  Nothing like hearing GREAT news!!

      • Monika Delle
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2010
          SUCH wonderful news, Carol! Will still keep you
          all in our prayers and re-light the candle. Hang
          in there, Squeek!!

          Monika