Re: [FH]

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2010
      Hi -- weight gain is not good for a heart kitty. Please wean him off all dry food and get him on all-canned. It's the carbs, wheat, grains, starch, etc in dry food that makes them fat. You can give Seymour pretty much as much canned food as he wants, and he will slim down naturally without losing muscle mass. Get a good brand like Friskies Pate flavors, or Fancy Feast dinner flavors, etc -- don't get anything with gravy or gluten, those are carbs. Add some extra water to it, and just leave it out all the time, great for the kidneys too. Cats are created to eat only meat, not those carbs. He will feel better, and you won't have to worry so much. Mix the canned into his dry slowly, a little more each day, until he's on all-canned, this might take a couple weeks. Don't rush it. Unless he dives into the canned, then you can just switch right away easily. Don't worry about the salt so much, I really don't think it's that important. They add salt to make kitties want to drink more water I believe, but I don't think it works. Just add some water to the canned food, they love slurping up the "gravy" that the extra water makes.