Re: [FH] food choices

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
      hi -- yes, Tigger has had two echos. One when he was about 7 months old, and another one about 2 1/2 years later. They were identical, so I was told I'd only have to scan him once every 3 years if there's no change. He doesn't seem sick at all, just a normal happy kitty. I scanned him in the first place because he had a 3-4 murmur. But not every kitty with HCM has a murmur! The first one I lost, the one who died in my arms at 18 months old, didn't have a murmur, so we didn't have a clue she had heart disease.

      Before I started Tigger on atenolol, he used to have spells where he would breathe really deeply with no exertion whatsoever, his whole side would cave in. It wasn't faster, just deeper, labored. He would also occasionally get winded and pant when we played. But a couple months after we started the atenolol, that all disappeared. I think atenolol is a wonderful drug, and I'm glad his cardiologist put him on it right away after his diagnosis. But if your kitty has normally slow heartbeats all the time, then you need to do what your cardiologist recommends. I don't know what would happen if the heart beat too slow all the time. But there are several other kinds of drugs too, just have a good talk with your cardiologist the next time you see him. None of us has seen your kitty, all we can do is tell you OUR experiences. Your cardiologist is the most important guy in your life right now.