Re: [FH] food choices

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
      hi -- welcome to the group that nobody wants to be a member of. We'll do everything we can to help you.

      My Tigger has a 3-4 murmur and mild HCM. He's been on atenolol for over 5 years, since he was 6 months old, and doesn't seem sick at all. When he was 2, he partially blocked up. Just a few drops came out. They cleared him out, and then we tried several of the urinary foods. The only one he liked was the canned RC Feline s/o -- which is now called Medi-cal s/o in Canada.

      My vet and I believe that he blocked up because I was giving him about half dry foods. So after his blockage, there is no more dry food in my house at all. He gets canned food with extra water added, to help keep him flushed out, and he has never blocked again. Check with your vet before you do this, but I mix a 1/2 can of s/o with a whole can of Friskies "pate" each morning for my 2 cats. This cuts the salt, but also cuts the effect of the s/o. I add quite a bit of extra water. I take a couple tablespoons of the "gravy" produced by adding the extra water and mix his meds in there, and sit with him until he eats that -- then I put the rest down and let my cats free-feed. The s/o doesn't hurt my healthy girl, it's a high-quality food. This might work for your kitty too -- and will enable you to give him different flavors, etc -- just use only the "pate" flavors -- or you can use Fancy Feast or any other canned food instead of the Friskies. But if your little boy is seriously prone to crystals, diluting the s/o won't be a good idea -- so do talk to your vet about it before you try it.

      There are plenty of non-fish flavors -- in both Friskies and Fancy Feast. Just check the labels, and never buy anything with gluten.

    • s.theye
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
        Hi Michelle,

        Thanks for the good feeding ideas! I will definitely ask about doing that as an option.
        The urinary SO seems to be super high in salt, so definitely want to scale back on it.

        Has your Tigger had follow-up echo's? Has he had any progression in his HCM in the amount of time you have had him on Atenolol? It's great that he is doing so well, I bet my Jack was the same age when his began.

        We found it accidentally when he was young, because he would pant if he played really hard with a feather toy! He would only pant for a few seconds, and only with very wild running around. I asked my vet because it seemed strange, and she checked for a murmur, didn't hear one, did a heartworm test, negative, then had another vet listen and she heard a very soft murmur so off to his first echo at the vet school. The cardiologist called it probably HCM, kind of a gray area, and she said the panting had nothing to do with it, it was because he was just a hot cat! I had to agree with her. He sought out the air conditioning vents in the flooring to lie on, and hated to be near the woodstove in the winter time! The vet's roommate had a hot cat too, so she said the panting that led us to examine his heart was a fluke in his case!

        I am not sure if the vet will put him on Atenolol or not since his heart rate is somewhat low, at @ 125 beats per minute without it. She said that she would if it was over 160.

        So so far no meds. I kind of have mixed feelings about it.

        Best,
        Shelley

        > hi -- welcome to the group that nobody wants to be a member of. We'll do everything we can to help you.
        >
        > My Tigger has a 3-4 murmur and mild HCM. He's been on atenolol for over 5 years, since he was 6 months old, and doesn't seem sick at all. When he was 2, he partially blocked up. Just a few drops came out. They cleared him out, and then we tried several of the urinary foods. The only one he liked was the canned RC Feline s/o -- which is now called Medi-cal s/o in Canada.
        >
        > My vet and I believe that he blocked up because I was giving him about half dry foods. So after his blockage, there is no more dry food in my house at all. He gets canned food with extra water added, to help keep him flushed out, and he has never blocked again. Check with your vet before you do this, but I mix a 1/2 can of s/o with a whole can of Friskies "pate" each morning for my 2 cats. This cuts the salt, but also cuts the effect of the s/o. I add quite a bit of extra water. I take a couple tablespoons of the "gravy" produced by adding the extra water and mix his meds in there, and sit with him until he eats that -- then I put the rest down and let my cats free-feed. The s/o doesn't hurt my healthy girl, it's a high-quality food. This might work for your kitty too -- and will enable you to give him different flavors, etc -- just use only the "pate" flavors -- or you can use Fancy Feast or any other canned food instead of the Friskies. But if your little boy is seriously prone to crystals, diluting the s/o won't be a good idea -- so do talk to your vet about it before you try it.
        >
        > There are plenty of non-fish flavors -- in both Friskies and Fancy Feast. Just check the labels, and never buy anything with gluten.
        >
        > take care -- Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2010
          hi -- yes, Tigger has had two echos. One when he was about 7 months old, and another one about 2 1/2 years later. They were identical, so I was told I'd only have to scan him once every 3 years if there's no change. He doesn't seem sick at all, just a normal happy kitty. I scanned him in the first place because he had a 3-4 murmur. But not every kitty with HCM has a murmur! The first one I lost, the one who died in my arms at 18 months old, didn't have a murmur, so we didn't have a clue she had heart disease.

          Before I started Tigger on atenolol, he used to have spells where he would breathe really deeply with no exertion whatsoever, his whole side would cave in. It wasn't faster, just deeper, labored. He would also occasionally get winded and pant when we played. But a couple months after we started the atenolol, that all disappeared. I think atenolol is a wonderful drug, and I'm glad his cardiologist put him on it right away after his diagnosis. But if your kitty has normally slow heartbeats all the time, then you need to do what your cardiologist recommends. I don't know what would happen if the heart beat too slow all the time. But there are several other kinds of drugs too, just have a good talk with your cardiologist the next time you see him. None of us has seen your kitty, all we can do is tell you OUR experiences. Your cardiologist is the most important guy in your life right now.