Re: [FH] Hello All Blackies Dad here with heart condition.

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2010
      I have to apologize for all the spelling errors in my original note below. My computer is dying and the key that I hit isn't always the one that appears on the screen!

      I am rewriting this note as general information to post in the Yahoo group as an introduction.

      (BTW - it's Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy)

      Sue

      From: susan@...
      Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:58:02 -0400

      Hi and welcome to the group.

      This is how many of us came to know that our cats had heart disease. My
      girl actually had asthma so when she went into CHF (Congestive Heart
      Failure) everyone thought it was another asthma attack.

      It's good that Blackie is under a vet's care. If you can, get a referral to
      a veterinary cardiologist. It does make a difference as they are trained to
      see the nuances between the three different types of heart disease and know
      exactely which meds to prescribe. The most common type is HCM (Hydrotrophic
      Cariomyopathy). The other two type of cardiomyopathy are dialated (DCM) and
      restrictive (RCM).

      When anyone has heart disease, it causes an imbalance in fluid pressure
      between the right and left sides of the heart. The body compensates by
      allowing some fluid to leak out of the vascular (blood) system. That fluid
      can leak out into either the lungs or chest cavity. It can build up and
      cause pressure on the heart and/or lungs, making it difficult to breathe and
      difficult for the heart to function properly. When that happens, it's
      called Congestive Heart Failure or CHF. CHF is actually a symptom of heart
      disease.

      Lasix is a diuretic and the action of a diuretic is to help the body remove
      that excess fluid. We often see the generic furosemide used also.

      In addition to a diuretic, Blackie should be on an ACE-inhibitor (e.g.
      enalapril) and/or a Beta-blocker (e.g. atenolol) to help the heart function
      better with the uneven fluid pressure. This is where it's good to have a
      cardiologist to make those decisions.

      Once Blackie is stabilized, he will have to adjust to his medications.
      Since they all lower blood pressure, he may appear a bit lethargic or
      "woozy" for a couple days. That's normal. It's also normal for him to need
      a few adjustments to his dosage over the next few weeks / months.

      Once he's stabilized, it will be a good time to study Blackie to learn
      what's normal for him so you can recognize the onset of another episode of
      CHF before it gets bad. The best way to do that is to learn what is his
      normal breathing pattern. There are two aspects to that - how many breaths
      per minute and how much his sides move in & out when he breathes. You'll
      need to check it when he's sleeping or resting and NOT purring. Normal
      count is (I believe) 28-35 breaths per minute. If it gets much over 45,
      then you should be concerned and call your vet. If the count doesn't
      change, but he seems to be working harder to each breath (sides moving in &
      out more than normal) then that is also a sign.

      Cats are experts on hiding that they are sick so you have to be very alert.
      Also remember that cats are extremely sensitive to your stress level and
      that will make them stressed too.

      Heart disease is progressive so adjustments will probably be needed
      occasionally for the rest of his life. Expect the vet / cardiologist to
      have you come back every six months for a recheck echocardiogram.

      In addition, it's good to keep him in as good health as possible. For that,
      be sure to feed him a species-appropriate diet. Cats are "obligate
      carnivores" and have no use for any carbohydrates - whether it's grain,
      fruits or vegetables. Cats do not have the digestive enzymes to process
      carbohydrates properly so they usually turn into fat, setting the cat up for
      diabetes, obesity and organ failure. So you want to feed a good quality
      canned, home-cooked or raw diet consisting of meat with a mineral balance
      appropriate for a cat. See sites like www.catinfo.org for more information.

      There are supplements that can help support a cat with heart disease. The
      most important is CoQ10 (coenzyme Q-10). The normal dose for a cat is 30mg
      daily although more wouldn't hurt. Other supplements are the amino acids
      l-carnitine and l-lysine. My girl had asthma and benefitted from TMG (or
      you could use DMG). That helps the body process oxygen more efficiently on
      the cellular level. She also benefitted a lot from taking salmon oil. That
      contains Omega-3 fatty acids along with other nutrients and helps offset the
      effects of cachexia (muscle wasting) which is a side-effect of the disease.

      If you give Blackie meds for his asthma, there could be issues. Cats with
      heart disease should not get oral steroids. It will make his heart disease
      worse quickly. Inhalers won't have much of an affect. There are others on
      this list that have more experince. I controlled my girl's asthma through
      avoiding her triggers.

      There's a lot to learn to help support Blackie and it really makes a big
      difference. My girl had a prognosis of 4-6 months for her particular
      situation, but survived for 2-1/2 years after diagnosis.

      Best to you,
      Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
      With Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella