Re: Taurine

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 16, 2010
      hi,

      The common dose for the taurine is 250mg per day for cats and small dogs. Larger dogs the dose was up to 500mg per day. I found that information from an article written by Dr. Jean Hovre, DVM, in one of my pet magazines. I do the same thing, half morning/half evening.

      Have been trying to figure out how to reply on my other thread, haven't worked it out yet though, sorry.

      If you click on reply, you just have to make sure you choose to reply to the group. If you're reading from the website, click on the drop down menu in the "To:" space to choose the group address. If you're replying from your own mailbox, cut and paste the group address in the address space, otherwise it defaults back to the individual and won't go to the group.

      take care,
      and the gang
      Snowball in the planter box.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6bLwo5jPE
    • mary beth fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 25 3:32 PM
        Hi !

        In addition to Lahri's ProPlan Ocean Whitefish and Salmon and kibbles, he is finally eating Beechnut Turkey with some gusto. I understand I should be giving extra Taurine for the Turkey and have heard 1/8 tsp a day would be appropriate. Have I got that right?

        Thanks.
        mb and lahri

      • carolroars
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 25 7:42 PM
          hi Mary Beth,

          It's not so much the volume measurement (1/2 tsp), but more how many milligrams per day. I add extra taurine to baby food, 100 to 200mg per day is sufficient.

          Carol

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "mary beth fitzpatrick" <marybethfitzpatrick@...> wrote:

          I understand I should be giving extra Taurine for the Turkey and have heard 1/8 tsp a day would be appropriate.
        • Carol
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 25 7:48 PM
            Sorry, I realized I should clarify... I didn't mean to confuse anyone with the 1/2 tsp measurement that I typed. I was just using that as a "for instance", not that one would give 1/2 tsp.

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "mary beth fitzpatrick" wrote:

            I understand I should be giving extra Taurine for the Turkey and have heard 1/8 tsp a day would be appropriate.

          • musicgirl1993
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2015
              Is 250 mg the recommended dosage for a 14 year old without the heart problems? We feed ground raw. Thanks Kim