Re: Low sodium dry foods?

  • JudithG
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2010
      Forget the calculation, just contact Natural Balance directly: 1 (800) 829-4493 or http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/contact.tpl.

      I recently both called and emailed them and as with most pet food companies, they are very willing to help you. My vet still chuckles over the 3 page email I got from Eukanuba UK about the sodium level in their canned allergy food (fine for early HCM and it's called IAMS Skin & Coat Formula in the US). Purina Veterinary Diet was very nice too.

      Here's the url for the list of pet foods broken down by ingredients needing to be limited for a renal diet. Includes sodium http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm. Just pick the lowest percentage.

      You can also burn your eyes staring at pet food company ingredients lists online.

      I've been trying out the canned Venison & Green Peas on my super-allergic cat and called because I got a few cans with a different date and it looked very odd. After a lot of, "it's a natural food and is often darker or lighter," I explained about the uneven color and lumps and got "well, next time you buy, ask for a different date." Hmmm. Well, it didn't kill my ferals. Trial temporarily stopped.

      I used the old IVD green pea formulas in the past and found that they caused diarrhea in some cats. So check the fiber percentage, the lower the better. Some cats just can't tolerate some foods and it never makes any sense which either.

      Also, cats need to be transitioned to a new food, mixing the old and new.

      And, I believe the rule is, 3 days diarrhea, go to the vet.

      Judith

      I should now bring up my favorite med additive, lactose. Can cause major diarrhea in some cats. Any change in the brand of meds?