Re: question re: baby aspirin

  • cococy45
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2010
      What we found easiest to use was the (cherry?) flavored children's aspirin which I think was by Bayer...my husband took the last of it so can't tell you the exact brand. Anyway, it pretty much dissolved instantly in the mouth and she never seemed to mind it at all. I believe there is some precaution about using the coated pills, something about the way they dissolve or the bitterness/whatever when it is split as parts then don't have that coating.

      carol and mellie
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Cathryn <cathryn.be@...> wrote:

      > does it matter if the baby aspirin is flavored? the vet suggested 1/4 of an
      > 81 mg. tablet.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > I also bought an unflavored 'safety coated' version.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Cathryn.

    • crfcatsa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2010
        I got a flavored chewable (cherry) because my cat is impossible to pill. I crush it and mix it in some wet food. He knows there is something not normal about it, but usually eats it anyway. The regular had too much of an unpleasant taste., and the safety enteric coated didn't matter if it was quartered.

        My vet said the flavor shouldn't hurt him.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Cathryn <cathryn.be@...> wrote:

        > does it matter if the baby aspirin is flavored? the vet suggested 1/4 of an
        > 81 mg. tablet.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > I also bought an unflavored 'safety coated' version.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Cathryn.

      • Cathryn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2010
          Thank you Carol! The vet's office said either was fine (safety coated or
          other) but I went with the flavored. Seemed better from reading your and a
          few others' experiences.

          Thanks!

          On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM, crfcatsa <crfcatsa@...> wrote:

          > I got a flavored chewable (cherry) because my cat is impossible to pill. I
          > crush it and mix it in some wet food. He knows there is something not normal
          > about it, but usually eats it anyway. The regular had too much of an
          > unpleasant taste., and the safety enteric coated didn't matter if it was
          > quartered.
          >
          > My vet said the flavor shouldn't hurt him.
          >

          > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Cathryn <cathryn.be@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > does it matter if the baby aspirin is flavored? the vet suggested 1/4 of
          > an
          > > 81 mg. tablet.
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > I also bought an unflavored 'safety coated' version.
          > >
          > > Thank you.
          > >
          > > Cathryn.

        • Cathryn
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2010
            Thanks. That's really helpful. I ended up calling the vet's office but good
            to hear. That's funny your cat knowing there's something not 'normal' about
            it but eating it anyway.

            They later told me - since Madeline threw up shortly afterwards - to either
            mix it with food or to have her eat at the same time. The cardiologist
            suggested crushing it and putting it in food too.

            Cathryn.