RE: [FH] Maisy and the never ending battle to give her Diltiazem

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2010
      won't your vet consider a diffrent med? We had that problem with diltiazem and I said I'm not giving it to Max (ie...he's NOT taking it) and we switched to enalapril which he'd taken previously. He takes it fine, and he's doing fine...the vet thought diltiazem was a better med for him, but I guess he thought it was better for him to take something than nothing and the enalapril was working OK...might be worth a conversation. good luck...Judi and Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: katpruetz@...
      Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 10:34:35 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Maisy and the never ending battle to give her Diltiazem

      Our cat Maisy takes Diltiazem & Plavix. Just giving her the pill b itself was not an option as she will spit it out no matter what we try. In the beginning we could easily hide it in her favorite treats but eventually she caught on to this. We got by by buying different kinds of treats (we have a cabinet full of 23 different kinds now)for a few months. The pill pockets worked great for about a week as they are really soft (only the chicken, my cat hates the salmon as she hates all seafood). It's mainly the Diltiazem that she hates taking. I swear she can smell it from a mile away or something. It has got to the point now where she really will not eat any form of treat, or cheese or coldcuts for that matter either as she is suspicous of everything thats not her dry food anymore. Monday we got the diltiazem compounded into a liquid that is chicken flavored. We mixed it into her wet food and the first 3 times or so she ate it no problem. Last night she wouldn't touch it. She wouldn't even touch her wet food with nothing in it this morning. So we had to squirt it in her mouth this morning. She did not like this. I feel bad because she gets so upset and I can feel her little heart beating so fast as we try to give her her medicine and sometimes I wonder if getting her all worked up is worse than not giving her anything at all. The vet doesn't want to use the transdermal. I know you cant be sure of the absorbtion with that but neither can you when she drools half the liquid medicine out. I also feel bad because she doesn't touch the foods and treats she used to love out of fear that there is medicine in them. Ugh....

      I think I just needed to vent. :)

      Kat & Maisy