Compounding Meds for a hard to pill kitty

  • katpruetz
    Message 1 of 9 , May 19, 2010
      My kitty Maisy is on Plavix and Diltiazem. She is nearly impossible to pill so I've resorted to hiding pills in treats but that is even not working so well anymore. At the beginning it was easy, hide it in the treat and she'd gobble it up without even really chewing.

      Fast forward 3 months. Now she licks every treat and takes little bites off of it until the pill falls out the middle and then walks away. Usually the ones with the Diltiazem in them she must be able to smell because she usually just walks away from those all together. I have a cupboard of 20+ different kinds of cat treat and the result is the same with all of them.

      We do have a pharmacy here that will compound pills into cat treats. Have you had good luck with this? I'm just worried that I'll waste a whole RX and she'll be able to smell the diltiazem compounded into the treat and just walk away.

      Also, Does anyone know if they can compound the Plavix?

      Thanks!

      Kat & Maisy
    • cathy coleman
      Message 2 of 9 , May 19, 2010
        Hi Kat & Maisy,
            My cat Winston is also on Plavix. I'm not sure if this would help you but if it helps to do pilling less often for less pills, you might consider putting all the meds into an empty capsule. That has worked great for Winston. I put 1/4 Plavix along with 1/2 lasix and 1 enalapril (broken in 2 pieces) into a small gel capsule and he just gets the one pill. It's not too big and it goes down pretty easy. He doesnt smell anything inside the capsule. I make up the capsules a week at a time.
            ANother thought is one of those pill shooters. I never did use it with Winston because he's relatively ok with this method we've got but that's a thought. My understanding is compounding is quite expensive but maybe that's your best bet too. Hard to say.. Just thought I'd offer this if you havent tried it yet...
          Take care,
         Cathy & WInston
        At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston

        Message 3 of 9 , May 19, 2010
          Tigger is also impossible to pill, so when he was prescribed the atenolol I was glad to hear it could be compounded. We tried the treats first, but he wouldn't touch them. Then I tried the fish flavored liquid, but it was too strong and he could smell it mixed in his wet food. I settled on the beef flavored liquid, and it mixes in the wet food perfectly, he doesn't even notice. We've been using that for about 5 years now. Not all meds can be made up into different forms, so you just have to ask. But someone told us about meds they got through the mail which were little tiny pieces of film that dissolved in the mouth instantly -- melts? They sounded great, and more than one med coupld be put into one melt. I hope someone will give you the details.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 20, 2010
            We also combine Oz's medications into a capsule. He is taking 1/4 Plavix, 1
            lasix and 1/2 enalapril. They fit into a no. 3 cap very nicely. He also gets
            Pimobendin twice daily. It's supposed to be chewable and flavored, but there
            is no way Oz would ever chew it. We tried crushing it into some baby food
            and for awhile he took it like that. Now we just pop It into his mouth. We
            ve never really given our cats treats, so medications disguised in a treat
            wouldn't work for Oz. We also use a pill popper. Our cardiologist said some
            of the meds can be put into liquid form but I don't know about the Plavix.
            Liquids freak Oz out. Someone on this list had their cat's meds compounded
            through Foster & Smith. You might check into that.

            Pam & Oz

            Message 5 of 9 , May 20, 2010
              Max cannot be pilled either so we investigated compounding early on. We get his meds compounded into a liquid which we syringe into him...it has chicken flavor. He likes it now, or at least is very used to it. If you syringe into the corner of the mouth they open up and it goes in quickly. The amount of liquid is small so it's not too hard for them. AFterwards he always gets a few treats and some loving for taking his pills.
              I have to say though that even with the compounded liquid Max wouldn't take diltiazem...we got him switched back to enalapril and it's worked well for him...although the vet thinks diltiazem was a better choice. I guess it has a very bad taste. Good luck with his meds...they are so smart about this! take care...Judi and max

              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 9 , May 20, 2010
                I was not confident about my pilling technique, so when Aja was on heart meds I would dissolve them in a few drops of water and give them via syringe. Aja's HCM was secondary to hyper-t and HCM resolved when she had I131. So I didn't have to give heart meds anymore, but Aja became hypo-t after I131, so now I have to give meds for that. The medicine didn't seem to be effective when I dissolved it in water so now I use a pill popper. The secret is to center the pill on the back of the tongue. When I do that she hardly seems to notice. When I don't do that she gags. But I have gotten better with practice. The pill is tiny; I have read that for larger pills, put a little butter on the capsule to help it go down.

                Debbie
              • C.R.
                Message 7 of 9 , May 20, 2010
                  Sorry if this is a repost, I think my email is wonky today.

                  If you don't use a little butter or margarine or something slippery to help the pill go down when you're giving just a dry pill, make sure you give them a "chaser" of a couple of syringes of water or liquid to help the pill go down. The pills can get stuck easily and make them choke.

                  I never was able to master using a pill popper, and all of my guys seem to always find the pills inside a pill pocket. I always put the pill inside alittle "meatball" of cold canned food, shape the food around the pill, kind ofthe same idea as a pill pocket. Then when I "pill" them with it, they smell thefood, not the pill and they open their mouths and I really fast pop the pilldown the side of their mouth and push it as far back as I can. They thinkthey're just getting a little wad of food, and eat it. I'm sure they're wondering WHY I'm shoving a little meatball into their mouths, but after they
                  taste the food, they don't seem to care much. The only one who has figured it out is Puddy. That little stinker will look like he's eating the meatball pill, then swallow, then two seconds later, out he spits the pill! Sometimes it takes a few tries before he doesn't spit out the pill... maybe he just does it to get more food! I never thought of that!

                  Pilling our guys, all of our kitties, is always a challenge. You just have to find whatever way works best for you, and it can take a little trial and error to figure out what that is, whether it's pill pockets, compounding, pill poppers or my meatball thing. We have to be creative, but most important of all, try to make it a good, positive experience, not something for them to be afraid of or dread...like "oh no, it's pill time again!". Whatever you're thinking just before it's pill time, believe me, they can read your mind and know what's coming. If we're nervous or anxious about giving the pill, then they're going to be the same way getting it. It makes it even harder to give them meds when they're picking up on our fears. Making it a fun thing in your mind, really - even if you don't believe that...just pretend it's fun, will make things go smoother in the long run. Because eventually you'll get more confident and less
                  stressed about it and so will your kitty.

                  It took me almost two months to get Misty to let me give her pills, and now it's just so easy. She just opens her mouth for me and gobbles up her little meatball pill and looks around for more! Quite a change from the beginning years ago when she would turn into the Tazmanian devil cat when we tried to pill her.

                  Hang in there, it'll get easier.

                  and the gang
                  Snowball in the planter box.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6bLwo5jPE

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "debbie.bendell" <dbendell1958@...> wrote:

                  I have read that for larger pills, put a little butter on the capsule to help it
                  go down.

                • crfcatsa
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 20, 2010
                    I think Plavix may be heat sensitive, and therefore not able to be compounded. That's what the compounding pharmacy in my area said when I checked into it.

                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "katpruetz" <katpruetz@...> wrote:
                    > Also, Does anyone know if they can compound the Plavix?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Kat & Maisy

                  • cococy45
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 21, 2010
                      I heard not long ago that it helps to give a bit of water prior to the pill so that the mouth/throat is moist before giving the pill, tried it with Mellie and it does work to make the pill go down easier. Do follow with additional water or baby food, Mellie would take about anything as long as that jar of baby food is sitting in front of her!
                      carol and mellie