Re: [FH] Nikko - crash - need help asap

  • Cathy Mack
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2010
      Hi Linda,

      I'm terribly sorry to hear precious Nikko is not doing well. The only thing I can offer is to have his potassium checked (if you haven't already) to make sure it's not too low, as this can cause weakness in the hind legs. If you're giving a kitty fluids, this can drain the potassium in his body and you'll need to supplement it. I have also found that even if the potassium is in the low end of normal, this is still too low and requires supplements. There are two types of potassium levels, but only one can be checked in a blood panel. The potassium that is in the muscles cannot be checked, so if the blood panel shows the potassium is low, then it's even lower in the muscle. Another sign of low potassium is if he's drooping his head down when he walks. If this is the cause, and you start supplementing right away, they turn around fairly quickly. HTH.

      All the best,