RE: [FH] I'm new, and my kitty ha HCM

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12 9:11 AM
      Lynn is absolutely right...the best thing to do is get her to a cardiologist for an echo and a diagnosis. In the meantime, there are supplements for heart kitties, maybe you could start with Cardiostrength...many use it successfully. This disease is different in different cats...some progress very slowly and others faster, and there are different forms of heart disease also...you need to know which to treat and get the right treatment...then just keep loving her and watching her and enjoy her life...it could be quite long with some luck and good treatment. Take care...Judi and Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: stephh1182@...
      Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:21:43 +0000
      Subject: [FH] I'm new, and my kitty ha HCM

      I have a 2 1/2 year old cat named Molly. We found her under my parents' shed over Christmas '07 during an ice storm. My husband and I brought her in and she has been purring away ever since. She was a very active, playful, energetic kitten. She gained some weight around age 1 and calmed down a bit..we noticed a wheezing cough, but the vet said it was "probably allergies" and did no more tests. She lost some weight when we moved into a new, bigger house, and her energy and playfulness grew. However, the wheezing continued...occasional, not every day, but we noticed it after she was running around or playing.
      Yesterday, she started walking funny. Almost like her back legs were giving out..she seemed off balance. She didn't come upstairs to sleep on our bed like she always does. And she didn't meow her head off for food at 6am like she always does. But then I watched her for a while, and she was purring, running, jumping, and seemed fine. I took her to the vet anyway, and he told me she has an enlarged heart. He did an EKG which confirmed it is HCM. My own heart felt like it stopped upon hearing this.. my mother-in-law had a heart transplant due to HCM. The doc said "well we don't do that for kitties yet" (obviously), but the diagnosis shocked and worried me, and tears started welling up. I asked if it's treatable, he said yes. I asked if it's curable, he said no. He prescribed aspirin twice a week, and Diltiazem (Cardiazem) every 12 hours. He said we caught it early on, but should I believe him? Her legs were giving out...the research I've done indicated this could be a grave sign. I'm so worried. Any help or advice, diet advice, anything.... please help, I'm all ears!

      Stephanie