Bad News: Natura bought by P&G

  • debbie.bendell
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2010
      I received this information from a reliable source:

      Hello All:

      I just learned from veterinarian friend, Dr Jean Hofve, that Natura Pet Products, makers of Evo, Innova, California Natural, Karma, Healthwise andMother Nature dog and cat foods announced that they will be purchased by Procter & Gamble. I immediately called Natura to find out all I could about this. I was told by their customer service representative that this is indeed true. BUT the deal will not be finalized for a month. I asked her if they would listen to comments from customers and shops about this acquisition and she said that they welcome our input.

      So, now is the moment for everyone who cares about the quality of these excellent foods to flood Natura with calls and emails if you are as concerned as I am about this acquisition.

      Most of you are aware of P & G's dismal record of decades of horrible animal testing. Countless animals in P & G labs have been subjected to cruel, torturous tests. P & G owns Iams and Eukanuba now and over the years, PETA has been very involved in following P & G activities with animal testing. Even though P & G has stopped some animal testing, PETA continues to maintain their boycott of all P & G products. Click on the links below for an update and report on testing procedures at Iams. Very disturbing.

      http://www.askcarla.com/answers.asp?QuestionandanswerID=531
      http://blog.peta.org/archives/2007/03/iams_update_cru.php

      I have been recommending Natura foods for the past 10 years as I have believed in the high quality of the foods and the integrity of the company. However, if this acquisition takes place, I will no longer recommend the products or support Natura in any way. I understand from the customer service gal that the Natura/P& G contract stipulates that Natura will still be in charge of production and ingredients .However Iams had the same kind of deal and we know for a fact that their quality declined immediately. And as I pointed out to her, P & G will still profit by the sale of every bag and can of dog and cat food. For me this is unacceptable.

      So, PLEASE email Natura at custserv@... and/or call 1 800 532-7261. Here are some points to consider telling tell them:

      1) How long you've been feeding their foods to your companions.

      2) How pleased you've been with your companion's coat, teeth, overall health since they've been eating Evo, Innova, California Natural, etc.

      3) Your opinion of Procter & Gamble.

      4) Whether or not you will continue buying/feeding Natura food if the acquisition happens.

      I hope that if Natura hears from enough of us -- especially those of you who own shops and buy Natura products in large quantities -- they will cancel the P & G deal, maintaining their commitment to quality pet foods AND their corporate integrity.

      Please feel free to keep me posted on your actions AND pass this on to all your friends who buy and feed any of the Natura foods.

      Let's all do what we can to make a positive difference right now!!

      Debbie
    • C.R.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2010
        hi Debbie,

        Thanks for posting this. I just heard about it too, and was going to post something. I wrote a letter and emailed it to Natura on Friday. I'm so disappointed that this is happening. I don't buy P&G products ever, because of their horrible animal testing practices. I've already decided to switch my guys who eat canned EVO over to Nature's Variety.

        I spoke with the owners of the pet store I buy at and they said they found out the owners of Natura are an elderly couple and they wanted to retire, so that's the reason for the sale. But you would think that they'd be a little more careful and concerned about who they sold their company to. I guess when there's money involved, quality always goes out the window. This is very sad and bad for our furguys.

        Carol

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "debbie.bendell" <dbendell1958@...> wrote:

        > I received this information from a reliable source:
        >
        > Hello All:
        >
        > I just learned from veterinarian friend, Dr Jean Hofve, that Natura Pet Products, makers of Evo, Innova, California Natural, Karma, Healthwise andMother Nature dog and cat foods announced that they will be purchased by Procter & Gamble.
      • Pat
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2010
          Hi Carol;

          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2010
            I think the problem is not whether Natura foods would now be subjected to
            animal testing, but with folks not wanting to buy products from a company
            that does animal testing, esp. to the degree P&G does. P&G does animal
            testing. Not just of it its dog foods, but of many of its
            products--cosmetics, cleansers, detergents, etc. This is pretty well
            documented and not something P&G actually denies. Personally, I don't want
            to give my money to a company that does these types of tests.

            You might think animal testing is okay, or that it is responsible for your
            cats' well being so it's worth the cost to other animals, but for me, the
            problem is not whether animals are abused during testing, but the tests
            themselves. I don't think anyone has to purchase any studies to decide this
            or to prove to you why they feel the way they do.

            And, FWIW, my cats have all lived well into their late teens. My Nikki
            passed away at nearly 20 and was in good health until the end. He never ate
            a P&G food. My heart kitty is now 3 years old and her vet is amazed that her
            heart has not deteriorated, but has actually improved, since her dx at 6
            months. So, I guess you could say foods not tested on other animals have
            worked well for us.

            Sue & Boo

            On 5/10/10 2:24 PM, "Pat" <Pat.Creighton@...> wrote:
            > You are a straight forward honest person, so could you please pass along
            > what others are not willing to share on this subject? While companion
            > animals are often being used in recent studies where careful monitoring of
            > treatment can occur, I have not found any recent studies where these
            > horrible "testing practices" are happening so have no idea what people are
            > talking about. I do know that the studies done to improve their formulas to
            > be more feline appropriate for domestic cats, this wasn't being done for
            > formulas for the other companies that P&G are going to purchase, so I don't
            > see a problem there at all.
            >
            > Hamlet's heart isn't showing a murmur as of yesterday, even though he had
            > one when we first took him in years ago, and at this time the vet is saying
            > he is the equivalent of a 100 year old human. He is again off insulin, too,
            > using information provided in studies that do not abuse animals. Pepper is
            > doing well also, for a guy who has lived twice his prognosis at this point
            > so foods supported by study data are working well for us.
            >
            > Again, the studies I have gone to the trouble of purchasing to read for
            > myself are not showing animals that are abused in ANY way, so please show me
            > what I am missing here?
          • C.R.
            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2010
              hi everyone,

              I emailed Pat privately about this. I would prefer that this not be a hot topic here on feline-heart, but you're more than welcome to email me or each other privately to discuss the topic of animal testing. It can be a very upsetting topic for some and I don't want our little familiy here to have to endure anymore stress than they already have.

              Thanks for honoring this request.

              Carol
              Moderator, feline-heart

              and Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*