Re:new to group - - sorry so long

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2010
      Hi Kelly

      I am so sorry to hear about Hocus and the problems he is having with heart
      failure. It sounds like it is not stabilised and the most important thing
      is to get the fluid off his lungs as that will be the main cause of
      deterioration. Has the vet mentioned adding a second diuretic like spironolactone?
      My cats in heart failure required both to stabilise. Spiro isnt as bad on
      the kidneys.

      Also the aspirin is quite toxic to cats. Trixi was very very ill on aspirin
      and we had to withdraw it. Some cats tolerate it very well, but with my
      cat there was vomiting, sickness, weightloss and clear discomfort which
      cleared up within 36 hours of stopping it. We use plavix for the risk of clots.
      Its a risk, yes, she could use aspirin after she threw a clot but her
      quality of life was so poor on it we made the judgement to withdraw it with the
      vets agreement.

      I can not give you any definite advice. Pimobendin was a lifesaver for my
      girl, but every case is different. Josh had his atenolol withdrawn slowly
      when he went into heart failure and is now not on it at all. Atenolol helped
      him enormously pre heart failure but seemed to make things worse. Trixi, on
      the other hand, needed atenolol.

      With a high dose of lasix, potassium supplements is advised. Trixi takes
      Kaminox which is a liquid she absolutely loves. Low potassium causes all
      sorts of problems.

      I think Hocus needs his heart failure stabilising as an urgency. Lasix is
      hard on the kidneys, but the heart has to come first to clear the fluid. I
      know I would ask my vet for spiro and vetmedin, but that's only from one
      experience. I just wish there was a magic answer, but there isn't

      Hugs