Re: [FH] OT: Memorial question

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2010
      Susan,

      I saved some fur and whiskers along with her ashes in a stained glass urn
      that I purchased from Rays of Joy. If you go to their page, I got the urn
      in the 2nd photo on the page -
      http://www.raysofjoy.com/Pet_cremation_urns.htm It has a place for a photo
      and two compartments for storage. The fur is just in a zipper bag.

      If you have a lot of fur, and it's not too short, you can have it spun into
      yarn and made into something http://www.vipfibers.com/index.html

      I also had a photo converted into a painting (giclee) by Marlin Art as part
      of their Family Heirloom program. It's about 12x16 before framing and looks
      wonderful. Marlin Art only does this as part of a fundraiser, but if you
      search for "giclee", you will find plenty of places that do it.

      There are other businesses that make memorials for your pet. I have a list
      of links here - http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links2.html#loss-urn and I'm sure
      you could find more on the internet by searching for "pet memorials".

      Sue & angels Pepper and Gandy
      with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2010
        I had a memorial portrait made for my cat Khan. I had bought some artwork from a local artist. When I knew Khan was failing, I asked her to stop by to meet him and to pick up a photo of him. She painted the portrait from the photo. She is an abstract artist, and I told her to paint whatever she felt inspired to paint. The muses told her to do a realistic, not abstract, portrait, and I love it.

        When she delivered the portrait, she told me that she has 3 cats who usually don't come into her studio. But when she was working on Khan's portrait they wanted to be in the studio with her.

        Another local artist does general drawings for dearly departed pets that she can personalize. My cat Blake died of FIV, and it took a terrible toll on his body. I bought a drawing of a cat flying through the sky with the words "now he is free to fly." The artist personalized the drawing by writing "in loving memory of Blake" under the wording. I burst into tears as she added the personalization. I love the drawing as much as the portrait, because it captured so well the concept that Blake was released from his broken body.

        Debbie