Nattokinase Info Roundup

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2010
      Hi -- I would like to start a project with this group. I will assemble all the information I receive, and put it into an article for the files. Many people seem to be on the fence about Natto, and others feel it is a necessity for all heart-kitties --- so let's assemble all the stories and see what conclusions we can draw. PLEASE write me if you have even a tiny thing to contribute. The more replies I have, the better the information I will be able to assemble for everybody.

      If you are giving Nattokinase to your kitty, or gave it to a kitty who is no longer with us, please let me know the story. Did you start before any clots appeared, or after one? What did your vet say about it? Which brand are you using, and where do you get it? How much are you giving and when? How do you give it? If you give it with other meds or supplements, please let me know those too. Someone mentioned that you have to get the kind without Vitamin K, do you know anything about this, and how do you find that kind? None of the labels I have seen mentioned this.

      If your kitty still had a clot while taking it, please tell me the story. How long had you been giving it, and at what dose?

      Anything else you can think of, please add it. No bit of information is too small for what I plan to do here!

      You can post to the group or write me personally --
      thanks, Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto
      westgold@...

    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2010
        Hi Michelle; I started Max on Nattozyme at 36 mg a while ago (at least a year.) About 2 months ago he had a mild clot in his right rear leg...it resolved by the following morning (I think the natto can possibly be responsible that it wasn't too severe and that it went away.) AFterwards, in communicating with my cardiologist at UCDavis we decided to keep him on natto...I upped the dose to about 65mg per day. My method is somewhat iffy so he's not getting a full dose every day, but he's getting it regularly at a higher dose than before. We return to CA from Mexico in 2 weeks and I am looking forward to getting a new echo to see if there have been some developments in Max's heart which caused the clot and what treatment we should use going forward. My doctor told me after the clot that the standard treatment was 1/3 asprin and 10mg Plavix. I couldn't get plavix at anything less than 100mg's and couldn't imagine splitting the pill in 10 (especially since I can't pill Max) so the doctor agreed that natto would be a good substitute. I haven't been giving the asprin...so far, he's doing well, but I really worry that he should be getting more meds and we are vulnerable to another clot.
        All in all, my experience with natto has been good...even though Max had a clot it wasn't too serious. Thanks for putting all this info together. I'll follow up after our next echo and dr's visit and let you know what he says....Judi and Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2010
          Hi Michelle

          Tinkerbelle has suffered 2 clots. One to her front leg which resolved pretty rapidly (I gave her homeopathic Arnica immediately but her limp really didn't go away fully until she had acupuncture) and then a little over a month later threw a major clot and both back legs were paralyzed. What saved her was (Arnica 200C) and immediate (the next day) cold laser therapy and intensive acupunture. She now walks, plays, can run, go into her cat tower, etc. albeit *I* can tell she still has a bit of weakness and she had NOT been on aspirin or nattokinase in between those 2 clot episodes. The aspirin almost killed her and we immediately took her off of it, this was during the first clot. And one cannot give aspirin and nattokinase concurrently. i made the mistake of doing that and it wasn't good.

          We immediately initiated nattokinase after her second clot (ST) and she gets one capsule of Doctor's Best 2000 FU (which i think is roughly 100 mg) divided into 2 dosages. I give it on empty stomach by putting half the capsule in a bit of water and carefully syringing it. I am giving this dosage because i feel she is high risk and want to be preventative. I got the dosage info from another group, i think maintenance might be a lower dosage but she seems to be doing well on this (KNOCK ON WOOD) she is also on Enalapril which i feel is benefiting her.

          I do also alternate nattokinase every other day with the much more expensive lumbrokinase (20 mg) because studies show it has a lower incidence of hemorrhage SE's.
          Here are actual cases of pets using lumbrokinase: http://www.l-rzyme.com/index.html
          I'm also in a quandry about replacing the nattokinase with lumbrokinase because it is much more expensive but some studies suggest it has a lower incidence of hemorrhage SE's AND.... nattokinase has the possibility of allergic reaction. (tink has allergies) http://ai.jsaweb.jp/fulltext/056030257/056030257_index.html

          I am hoping and praying that natto (and lumbro) keep her clot free after the HELL we've been through. And it is approved by our naturopathic vet. It is strange because her actual heart disease is classified as mild. So mild in fact that when she threw her FIRST clot (front leg) her cardiologist wasn't even convinced it was due to her heart. She was convinced of course when she threw the second (ST). So this kind of sucks.

          Susie

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2010
            Hi -- I'm sending this request again, for those who may not have seen it
            last time. I only received 2 emails last time. If you've ever used Natto,
            please write me with your experiences -- here's my original post again --
            thanks!!

            Message 5 of 5 , May 18, 2010
              thank you so much Michelle for doing this...it will benefit the whole community...come on folks, let's help out! Judi and Max

              To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com