Re: [FH] Frosty died of a blood clot

  • Jill Barclay
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010
      My cat Frosty had a blood clot that went to the back of his legs.  He had restrictive cardiomyopathy.  He was only 7 years old. He had a blood clot and that is how I found out that he had a form of heart disease.  He was fine until the clot and showed no signs of any heart problems whatsoever!! I wish that there was some way to screen cats for this disease.  He never regained the use of his back legs and I had to put him to sleep.  I never even saw this coming.  He was too young and I loved him and he will be missed.

      Jill, Oscar and Frosty

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        Carol,
        I am so sorry you are grieving over the mysteries surrounding Snowball's death along with your loss of her. It's difficult enough to bear the grief of loss of a loved one.
        Perhaps with this new info you have shared with us it might be worthwhile to test your other cats for heartworm disease. Marianna

        Carol wrote:

        For three years of her being sick I was constantly searching and
        searching for answers about her illnesses, and never getting much back from the
        MANY vets she saw... just one more thing that makes me feel guilty about her
        passing. I know I did everything I could for her during her life, but there's
        always this aching feeling that I failed her.

        It's 17 weeks today that Snowball passed away, and I'm still having such a hard
        time.

        Anyway, I just wanted to pass along the heartworm info.

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2010
          Jill
          I am so sorry to hear about beloved Frosty. HCM is hard to detect unless you get an ultrasound. Since the ultrasound is expensive ($350), likely most vets dont prescribe it unless there are some symptoms. Since April didnt have any symptoms it was never recommended.
          April sounds a lot like Frosty. She was 7 years old, and from what we understood healthy. But I heard her crying one morning and found her on the floor unable to move. Rushing her to the emergency room we discovered she had saddle thrombosis (clit) and died the next day. The vet only knew it because she did the ultrasound. Her heart sounded normal with no murmur.
          Please dont feel like you did anything wrong. The only way is to get the ultrasound done for your next kitty.
          BTW 1 year after she died, I had ;planted some tulips and they are  now blossoming. Its one way to remember the beloved.
          Joe, with Beanie, Chelsea and April (RIP)
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2010
            I was so sorry to read about the loss of Frosty. It's the hardest thing when they go.. I am sure you did the very best for Frosty though. We can only know what we know and do what we can. I agree with you that it is heartbreaking that so many people only find out about the cat having HCM when they have already had a clot or died. I hope someday there are better tests etc.

            Thank you to Carol too  for sharing that article about heartworms. You never think of heartworrms with cats but this is important for all of us to know. I know you loved Snowball and did the very best for her that you could. We love them and do our best.. which is all anyone can do really.

             Sending hugs to you both,
             Cathy & Winston

            At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston