Re: [FH] Puff Puff

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2010
      Hi Ward;

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "wsuddaby" <wsuddaby@...>
      > I was wondering if the asthma they have discovered is related to his heart
      > issues? Also he is not been treated at all for the asthma, I believe he
      > >should be getting inhaler medication to relieve stress on the heart.

      The cat is very lucky not to be needing meds for the heart condition, and
      this indicates that it isn't a major problem at present. Pepper has had to
      have meds since diagnosis of the hole in his heart causing irregular heart
      action, and in his short life, (2 1/2 years to date), we have been able to
      see gradual deterioration.

      Our diabetic cat has seasonal asthma and what Margie Scherk recommended for
      him was use of periactin, (aka cyproheptidine), which is an antihistamine.
      Once a cat is on inhalers it is pretty well impossible to reverse the need
      for this practice and both Margie and I have serious questions in regard to
      where the residual steroids end up in the body as they aren't excreated with
      much detectable amount. The cypro has helped our diabetic cat for many
      years. He is now considered very geriatric at 19 years of age, and has had
      a heart murmur that doesn't increase in category for all the years we have
      had him in our lives with yearly checkups. Some years the heart murmur is
      not detectable so the periactin is not causing stress on his heart.

      HTH......Pat and all the boys
      http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/
      http://eliminationdietforpets.blogspot.com/
    • debbie.bendell
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2010
        I second Michelle's message about no steroids for a kitty with heart problems. My cat Aja was given a steroid injection for stomatitis (mouth inflammation). Two days later she was in ICU for the weekend. I didn't know she had HCM, and the steroid injection caused pulmonary edema. That means her lungs were filling with fluid and she couldn't breathe. Aja's story has a happy ending because she survived. After she recovered from the pulmonary edema she had I131 for hyperthyroid, and her heart problem resolved when hyperthyroid was cured.

        Debbie