Puff Puff

  • wsuddaby
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2010
      Hello,
      My name is Ward and I am writing on behalf of my friend's Cat Puff Puff.He is a neutered 3 year old orange tabby.He was diagnosed with a heart condition in July of 2009 to the surprise of all because he exhibited no outward physical symptoms at all.He was seen by a vet cardiologist.Here are her most recent findings as of the end of March.The echo cardiogram revealed a bicuspid aortic valve with nodular thickening in the anatomic region of the non coronary cusp.Additionally valve opening is restricted as a result of this valvular defect.The velocity of aortic outflow is similar to previous, and there is a substantive amount of aortic insufficiency.These findings represent a congenital abnormality . In Puff Puff based on the echo cardiograph appearance the non coronary and left aortic valve cusps are fused resulting in the bicuspid valve. Given that Puff Puff is asymptomatic at this time and the stenosis is mild medical management recommendations at this time consist of bacterial endocarditis prophylaxis precautions and follow up evaluations to monitor progression of valve dysfunction and AI.Balloon valvuloplasty to relieve stenosis is not recommended as it would certainly worsen the AI. She does not recommend any drug therapy at this time since he is not in heart failure and some drugs would be contraindicated given his asthmatic disease. She is not concerned about the stenosis but is concerned about the amount of AI.She wants to monitor cardiac function and chamber size closely since substantive AI does volume overload the left ventricle and can result in left-sided congestive heart failure.

      I was wondering if the asthma they have discovered is related to his heart issues? Also he is not been treated at all for the asthma, I believe he should be getting inhaler medication to relieve stress on the heart.
      Any insight to any of this would be most welcome. I hope this wasn't too confusing, I tried to write what was in her report. I thank you in advance for any help or suggestions. I am hoping some one has encountered a similar situation with their cat and has found a successful way to treat it
      Kind regards
      Ward
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2010
        Hi & welcome to the list. None of us wants to be on this list, but we're sure glad it's here!!!
        I can't help you with any of your kitty's details, others will be able to. But I want to tell you to NEVER allow your vet to give Puff Puff any kind of steroids for the asthma. If it gets worse, there are several non-steroid inhalers, other can help you with that too. Steroids can kill a kitty with heart problems -- be very clear about this to your vet, to never give them for anything.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2010
          Hi Ward;

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8, 2010
            I second Michelle's message about no steroids for a kitty with heart problems. My cat Aja was given a steroid injection for stomatitis (mouth inflammation). Two days later she was in ICU for the weekend. I didn't know she had HCM, and the steroid injection caused pulmonary edema. That means her lungs were filling with fluid and she couldn't breathe. Aja's story has a happy ending because she survived. After she recovered from the pulmonary edema she had I131 for hyperthyroid, and her heart problem resolved when hyperthyroid was cured.

            Debbie