Re: [FH] Re: ZANTAC dosage

  • Vicky
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
      The medicinal name for Pepcid AC is famotidine and that's what you
      want. You can even use a generic, as long as it says "famotidine" on
      the box it's the right one.

      Dosage is 1/4 of a 10mg tablet BID, unless it's for a large cat, (14
      lbs) then 1/3rd. (BID, twice daily) You can split the pills with a
      pill splitter, razor blade or very sharp knife. They tend to crumble,
      I usually split in half then shave a little off with a razor to get to
      1/3rd.

      I believe there is also an injectable form. Ask your vet.

      Vicky

      On Apr 4, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Lisa wrote:

      > No I hadn't been told not to use the AC. Did they say why? I just
      > recently
      > started Junior on the pepcid ac and it has helped tremendously,
      > though he is
      > still having some reflux, the vomiting has decreased. In addition
      > to his
      > heart issues, he also has IBD, so balancing his meds is a challenge!
      >
      > On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM, vjunger <vjunger@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> Just wonder when I gave Baby Pepcid, I was told not to use
      >> the A/C. Anyone else?
      >>
      >> Vickie
      >>
      >> --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>,
      >> Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:
      >>>

      >>> This question is for those members who give Zantac to their
      >>> kitties. My
      >> senior weighs 14 lb, and has been on Pepcid A/C 1/2 of a 10 mg
      >> tablet every
      >> third or fourth day, depending on his appetite. I'm thinking of
      >> switching.
      >> So I'd like to know your thoughts on why you prefer Zantac to
      >> Pepcid, and
      >> how much do you dose and how often...? I assume you are giving a
      >> portion of
      >> a 75 mg Zantac. But how much?
      >>>

      >>> Marianna

      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your
      > reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo
      > ! Groups Links

    • Mmayer11
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
        Vicky,
        Famotidine [pepcid a/c] can be compounded.

        Marianna

        Vicky wrote:

        I believe there is also an injectable form. Ask your vet.

      • Carol R.
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
          hi Vickie,

          The Pepcid A/C "is" the one to use. The one not to use is the Pepcid Plus, because it has other ingredients that aren't cat friendly. Pepcid A/C is just famotadine.

          There is one reason not to use it though, it can elevate the heart rate, so you just have to keep an eye on them when giving Pepcid A/C. We were always worried about it with Snowball, because her heart rate was always so high.

          Carol & Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
          & the gang

          Snowball's videos
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6bLwo5jPE
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxKQH2mM-d0