Re: ZANTAC dosage

  • vjunger
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
      Hi,

      Just wonder when I gave Baby Pepcid, I was told not to use
      the A/C. Anyone else?

      Vickie

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:

      > This question is for those members who give Zantac to their kitties. My senior weighs 14 lb, and has been on Pepcid A/C 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet every third or fourth day, depending on his appetite. I'm thinking of switching. So I'd like to know your thoughts on why you prefer Zantac to Pepcid, and how much do you dose and how often...? I assume you are giving a portion of a 75 mg Zantac. But how much?
      >

      > Marianna

    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
        No I hadn't been told not to use the AC. Did they say why? I just recently
        started Junior on the pepcid ac and it has helped tremendously, though he is
        still having some reflux, the vomiting has decreased. In addition to his
        heart issues, he also has IBD, so balancing his meds is a challenge!

        On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM, vjunger <vjunger@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Just wonder when I gave Baby Pepcid, I was told not to use
        > the A/C. Anyone else?
        >
        > Vickie
        >
        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > This question is for those members who give Zantac to their kitties. My
        > senior weighs 14 lb, and has been on Pepcid A/C 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet every
        > third or fourth day, depending on his appetite. I'm thinking of switching.
        > So I'd like to know your thoughts on why you prefer Zantac to Pepcid, and
        > how much do you dose and how often...? I assume you are giving a portion of
        > a 75 mg Zantac. But how much?
        > >

        > > Marianna

      • Vicky
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
          The medicinal name for Pepcid AC is famotidine and that's what you
          want. You can even use a generic, as long as it says "famotidine" on
          the box it's the right one.

          Dosage is 1/4 of a 10mg tablet BID, unless it's for a large cat, (14
          lbs) then 1/3rd. (BID, twice daily) You can split the pills with a
          pill splitter, razor blade or very sharp knife. They tend to crumble,
          I usually split in half then shave a little off with a razor to get to
          1/3rd.

          I believe there is also an injectable form. Ask your vet.

          Vicky

          On Apr 4, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Lisa wrote:

          > No I hadn't been told not to use the AC. Did they say why? I just
          > recently
          > started Junior on the pepcid ac and it has helped tremendously,
          > though he is
          > still having some reflux, the vomiting has decreased. In addition
          > to his
          > heart issues, he also has IBD, so balancing his meds is a challenge!
          >
          > On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM, vjunger <vjunger@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> Just wonder when I gave Baby Pepcid, I was told not to use
          >> the A/C. Anyone else?
          >>
          >> Vickie
          >>
          >> --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>,
          >> Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:
          >>>

          >>> This question is for those members who give Zantac to their
          >>> kitties. My
          >> senior weighs 14 lb, and has been on Pepcid A/C 1/2 of a 10 mg
          >> tablet every
          >> third or fourth day, depending on his appetite. I'm thinking of
          >> switching.
          >> So I'd like to know your thoughts on why you prefer Zantac to
          >> Pepcid, and
          >> how much do you dose and how often...? I assume you are giving a
          >> portion of
          >> a 75 mg Zantac. But how much?
          >>>

          >>> Marianna

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your
          > reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo
          > ! Groups Links

        • Mmayer11
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
            Vicky,
            Famotidine [pepcid a/c] can be compounded.

            Marianna

            Vicky wrote:

            I believe there is also an injectable form. Ask your vet.

          • Carol R.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
              hi Vickie,

              The Pepcid A/C "is" the one to use. The one not to use is the Pepcid Plus, because it has other ingredients that aren't cat friendly. Pepcid A/C is just famotadine.

              There is one reason not to use it though, it can elevate the heart rate, so you just have to keep an eye on them when giving Pepcid A/C. We were always worried about it with Snowball, because her heart rate was always so high.

              Carol & Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
              & the gang

              Snowball's videos
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6bLwo5jPE
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxKQH2mM-d0