Second cat with HCM

  • crfcatsa
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010
      My CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) cat of 3 years (renal failure began 3 years ago, he is 14 years old) has just been diagnosed with HCM. I already have one cat with HCM - diagnosed last year after throwing a clot who is on Enalapril, vitamin E, and aspirin. My CRF-HCM cat is on a half pill of a 25 mb Atenolol tablet once daily. He is 13 lbs. The dose makes him fairly sleepy for quite a while. I'd appreciate anyone with experience with Atenolol chiming in with observations about their cat's dosage and response. Are there any other suggestions to help support his heart function? Thanks.
    • Betty Ann
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2010
        Pixel is also a CRF-HCM cat with hypertension to add insult to injury. :)
        She gets 1/2 of a 2.5 mg Amlodipine once a day for her blood pressure. Her
        Atenolol is 1/4 of a 25mg tablet twice a day. Her other meds include Tumil-K
        (1.5 caplets twice a day) and generic Zantac 1/8 of a 75 mg twice a day. She
        doesn't seem to experience any major sleepiness. Her sleep pattern is pretty
        much unchanged since before her diagnosis. Right now she's taking a
        nap...she had to take care of her sick "daddy" and being a nurse kitty to a
        human is tiring work. To the surprise of my vet, Pixel is actually the most
        active of my 3 cats and the only one with health issues (so far). Pixel
        just turned 13 and weighs 9.5 pounds. BTW, the cardiologist who prescribed
        the Atenolol felt twice daily at a smaller dose keeps the blood levels of
        the medication more stable and more effective.

        Betty Ann

        Pixel (CRF, HCOM, HBP), Piton, Pipsqueak

        Angels Tandy, Toni and Snagglefoot