Re: barfed up morning atenolol within an hour or less

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2010
      I found this information on a human site. It says in humans that 50% is rapidly absorbed with the action of the drug occurring after an hour after taking it.

      So I would guess that if she had it in her tummy for an hour, that most of it was absorbed already. From this article it looks li ke it doesn't need to go through the whole digestive system to get absorbed.

      http://www.parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/drugdb/013.html

      Pharmacokinetics: After oral administration of atenolol, about 50- 60% of the dose is rapidly absorbed. The onset of heart rate reduction occurs in about 1 hour, with the peak effect achieved within 2-4 hours. The duration of action is roughly 24 hours.

      Hope this helps.

      and the gang