Re: Pet Sitting

  • brunobaby@accesshub.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2000
      Ronda asked:

      >What I would really like to know is if it has been as difficult for
      >any of you to find sitters for your pets that have medical problems.

      We haven't had a reason to be away from home overnight since our cats went
      on meds.

      Before that, we traded cat-sitting with a neighbor. But it's one thing to
      ask somebody to look in, spoon out some food and scoop some litter. It's a
      whole other story to ask somebody to be responsible for Pongo's heart meds,
      which is like a part-time job.

      What we've been thinking is that if we do have to get a sitter, we would
      use somebody recommended by our vet, The Cat Practice, here in NYC. We
      don't know who they would recommend or what the expense would be.

      Boarding Pongo at the vet's is out of the question -- he's terrified if we
      just drop him off for a day of tests. When we went to pick him up last
      time, he was huddled in the litter box with his paws over his eyes,
      quivering. Kind of counter-productive for a cat with a compromised heart.

      --Melinda, Jim, Phoebe and Pongo
    • Beth
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2000
        Hi, all

        I just joined this list, in response to a post about pet sitting from
        Ronda that Helen sent to me this morning.

        Ronda - I live in Seattle, and a few months ago a friend and I
        started a support group for people with special-needs pets. I have
        also just launched a web site:

        http://www.geocities.com/specialneedspets

        I am in the process of (slowly) compiling a list of Seattle area pet
        sitters who are willing to take on special needs pets as clients, and
        I plan to post that list on the web site. If you would be willing to
        help me do this (maybe we could make a list and split the calls up?)
        it would be SO great, as it's hard for me to find the time to do this.

        Did you know that there is a web site that has a directory of pet
        sitters?

        http://www.petsitters.com

        You can search by state for pet sitters on the site, but it doesn't
        offer much info - just names, addresses and phone numbers. One thing
        that I want to do is to start a letter writing campaign to the site
        owner(s) letting them know that it would really be helpful if they
        would expand their directory to include more information, like A)
        does the sitter specialize in cats or dogs or other animals, and B)
        is the sitter willing (and QUALIFIED) to care for special needs
        pets? Because if that site included that kind of information it
        could really be a wonderful resource for anyone anywhere in the
        country. So anyone who is interested and has the time, please visit
        that site and send an e-mail to the site owner.

        Anyway - Ronda, feel free to post a response to the group or to email
        me directly. I'd love to have you join our monthly support group
        meetings, and more information about that is on my web site. The
        same goes for anyone else who lives in Seattle or the surrounding
        areas. I can e-mail a flyer for the group in Word format to anyone
        who is interested, just let me know.

        Beth
      • Jill
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2000
          Our 14-year-old male was diagnosed with congestive heart failure on
          11/25 last year. We were scheduled to leave on vacation on 12/10. I
          asked my vet about pet-sitting, and one of his techs was willing to
          do
          it. I paid her $40/day to come in twice daily to medicate him (plus
          an $80 "Christmastime bonus"), and I had a neighbor also come in to
          spend time with him.

          I also got a list of vet techs from the local LARGE animal hospital
          who cat-sit.

          Since it was so early on, and we were unable to tell how he was doing
          (we almost had him put down on 12/3 because the Diltiazem (generic
          Cardizem) was making him sick to his stomach), the vet had me sign a
          waiver leaving decisions about his care to the tech and to him...so
          if
          he was deemed to be deteriorating, they would be authorized to
          euthanize if necessary, since we would be out of the country.

          He's still with us, and I'm planning to do the same thing when we go
          away in September.

          This vet tech was going to charge $20/day, but since I wanted her to
          come in twice, I wanted to pay her enough to make it worth her while.

          Because it meant I could go on vacatin with a clear mind that he was
          in good care, it was worth every penny.

          I am in northern NJ, so we're looking at a similar price structure.