Can Odd Posture be a sign of HCM?

  • sparklejunkey
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2010
      I was doing more research on HCM on my lunch break today and came across these "What to watch for" on petplace.com :

      "What To Watch For:

      Noisy, difficult, open-mouthed breathing

      Sudden inability to use one or more limbs

      Odd posture of squatting or lying with chest down, head extended and elbows pointed outward

      Lack of appetite

      Weight loss

      Inactivity

      See your veterinarian immediately if you see these signs."

      I was shocked to see the "Odd posture" one! Toby has always laid down like this since he was a kitten. We call it his "Chicken Wing" or "I swallowed a coat hanger" postition. We just thought it was one of those things unique kitties do...Toby is definately unique.

      Now I'm curious - has anyone else's HCM kitties shown these "odd postures"? Any one know WHY cat with HCM lay down like this?

      I would never in a million years thought that this could be a sign of something wrong with my kitty. Makes me wish I had become a vet - so I would have known more about what to watch for and know more about what to do to help my kitties. I know I shouldn't - that there is no way you can know everything and catch every warning sign - but I can't help feeling bad that I missed something.

      ~ Helen, Zima, & Toby ~
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2010
        Hi -- I laughed at your swallowed-a-coat-hanger. Tigger also rests like this sometimes, but he has mild HCM and doesn't even seem sick. He has never had any breathing issues or fluid at all. I believe the coat-hanger position probably only means something if a cat has labored breathing while in that position. Wouldn't you think? In people, if we raise our arms over our heads or do wide chicken-wings off to the side, that does take a bit of pressure off our lungs and allows them to expand a little more. I assume it's the same for cats. If they have any trouble breathing, they would find the position that makes it easiest for them to breathe. Why don't you post this email on the yahoogroups petvetcafe or vettalk -- there are lots of vets on those lists, I'd love to hear what they say!

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22, 2010
          Junior does have some funny postures as of late, but not exactly as the
          description below. The moments when he is having trouble he is reluctant to
          lie down, and his odd leg postureing I attributed to overcompensation due to
          his arthritis. To be honest he has so many challenges at the age of 18 that
          it is hard to tell sometimes!

          On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM, sparklejunkey <sparklejunkey@...>wrote:

          > I was doing more research on HCM on my lunch break today and came across
          > these "What to watch for" on petplace.com :
          >
          > "What To Watch For:
          >
          > Noisy, difficult, open-mouthed breathing
          >
          > Sudden inability to use one or more limbs
          >
          > Odd posture of squatting or lying with chest down, head extended and elbows
          > pointed outward
          >
          > Lack of appetite
          >
          > Weight loss
          >
          > Inactivity
          >
          > See your veterinarian immediately if you see these signs."
          >
          > I was shocked to see the "Odd posture" one! Toby has always laid down like
          > this since he was a kitten. We call it his "Chicken Wing" or "I swallowed a
          > coat hanger" postition. We just thought it was one of those things unique
          > kitties do...Toby is definately unique.
          >
          > Now I'm curious - has anyone else's HCM kitties shown these "odd postures"?
          > Any one know WHY cat with HCM lay down like this?
          >
          > I would never in a million years thought that this could be a sign of
          > something wrong with my kitty. Makes me wish I had become a vet - so I would
          > have known more about what to watch for and know more about what to do to
          > help my kitties. I know I shouldn't - that there is no way you can know
          > everything and catch every warning sign - but I can't help feeling bad that
          > I missed something.
          >
          > ~ Helen, Zima, & Toby ~

        • Helen Peterson
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 22, 2010
            Just FYI ~

            I emailed that info about the Odd Posture to Toby's primary vet, and this is what she emailed back...

            "That posturing description is for cats that are having labored breathing (they won't always do it either) (in an HCM case it would be secondary to congestive heart failure, ie fluid in the lungs) That is not Toby. Cats do that acutely, not on and off with out progressively getting worse.  Its not something that cats do when they are breathing normally, so however Toby tends to sit is not the same thing.  "

            So I guess it is just a Toby thing to sit like that all the time... Thanks for all your replies!
            ~Helen, Zima, & Toby ~